The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping a Paint/Pinto Clean?

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Ale 
#1 ·
Hey there guys and gals!
My first horse Dixie is coming home tomorrow! She is a double registered paint and pinto and well, she is more white then I would like in a horse. But color doesn't matter to me as long as she is my best friend. My question today is what can I do to keep her from looking like a miserable mud pony? I know that dirt isn't going to harm her as long as she is groomed before riding. What are somethings that I can do to keep her a little cleaner... Other then bathing her every single day. Do they make a spray or shampoo that helps dirt from sticking? What do you guys recommend for whitening shampoos and sprays? Just curious to know this information ahead of time :)

#3 ·
Thanks so much for taking the time to share all of these links for me. I think she will be a mud horse most of the time. I am not going to show until the 2015 season; I am sure. During 2014 I am going to take lessons and train so I will be able to show in 2015. She is ready to show and she is amazing. But its me that will needs the training. Hehehe. Thanks again!

#7 ·
Normal dirt tends to brush off quite easily - sometimes just a wipe over with a wet cloth or sponge - but not much more
Now the poop stains are another thing altogether, I like the Green Cowboy Magic stain remover about the best

#11 ·
Very very true. I've been riding Diablo for a few months now and normally we bathe him after every ride on weekends. Takes 3x longer then the other two and he ends up mud covered and poop splattered within moments of returning him to pasture lol. And now getting Dixie *rubs forehead* She is twice as white as Diablo is lol.

#17 ·
My pinto is 90% white and I'm not sure how she does it but she keeps fairly clean. I've seen her roll right after I bath her but she's not a mudball, although we have alot of weeds mixed in with the grass in the pasture. Now her legs and the pond are a completely different story!

#21 ·
Be sure to have a brush handy, brush her down every day after or during the time you feed her. If you ever need to keep her real clean we use Quick Sliver it is a shampoo that cleans the white. Other wise just brush her and give her bath often, this will help the two of you become great friends.

#23 ·
hahahahaa - sorry, I didn't even read the posts. I read your title and immediately thought of Smokey and the Bandit 2? Or was it 3? With Dom Deluise and the elephant.

Hang your paint (using two straps around the front/back of the belly) to hang him/her from the barn rafters so his hooves don't touch the floor.

That will keep him from becoming a mud-pony.

heeheehee.

Otherwise, I suggest you invest in warm water and sudsey soap. All the paints I have been around love to cover their white with as much mud as possible.

Maybe they want to be solid? :lol:

#25 ·
Hi

I have a Tobiano with quite a bit of white but I don't really have much advise for you. He seams to stay pretty clean on his own even when I turn him out in the pasture. The one thing I use once and a while is powdered corn starch. Just rub it into the white parts leave it in for a day and then brush them well! This is perfectly healthy and works very well! This works amazingly well on mains and tails too!!! Post a photo of your new best friend!!

#26 ·
I have a Tobiano with quite a bit of white but I don't really have much advise for you. He seams to stay pretty clean on his own even when I turn him out in the pasture. The one thing I use once and a while is powdered corn starch. Just rub it into the white parts leave it in for a day and then brush them well! This is perfectly healthy and works very well! This works amazingly well on mains and tails too!!! Post a photo of your new best friend!!
Thanks for the advice!

You can find photos of her here, http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/pictures-dixie-287282/page2/ on the second page. I will be adding more this afternoon that I took on Sunday and Monday with her :D I even have a video of her after she was not pleased to be put back into her stall. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.