The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Pasture, dust, and size questions (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/pasture-dust-size-questions-287370/)

MinuitMouse 10-02-2013 09:02 PM

Pasture, dust, and size questions

SIZE QUESTIONS
Okay, so I need the size minimum for two horses/ponies. We only have so much room, if its possible, please describe it in square feet, or the metric system, and their dimensions (LxW) and how big should the field shelter be?

DUST CONTROL
So I know, three things to control the dust intake in equine: pine bedding, keep an open window in the stable, and soak the hay for a couple minutes before feeding. Anything else?

PASTURE
I made some animal-safe weed killer (thanks to a member here :)) so I can spray any poisonous plants over time, before we get the ponies and kill them. We have some Home Depots near us, and there is some mesh for livestock pastures when you search 'horse fence', which one would you recommend? (Please provide link or name) lastly, how many times should you muck out the whole field? (Again, the size minimum for two horses)

Thank you! :hug::happydance:

Oliveren15 10-02-2013 10:28 PM

For the stalls I'd need to know the size of the horses, because obviously you cant put a massive warm blood in a 10x10. 12'x12' seems to be the average size for a horse stall (though it depends how long the horse is in it, id make it a tad bigger) For a run in take the height of the tallest horse (at the head) and then add 2 feet and that can be the roof height. Make it maybe 15'x15'. In the barn what we used to do (it was super dusty fromm hay) once every 2 weeks wed put a blob of pine oil in a watering can and fil it with water and "water" the ground with it (nothing the horses ate) and that kept the dust and smell down. For 2 horses maybe 3 acres for a full turnout paddock. Muck it out when you see fit, if its big enough you can leave it to decompose because its spread out, but if its smaller maybe once a month or so.

MinuitMouse 10-03-2013 09:39 AM

How much is 3 acres?

Red Gate Farm 10-03-2013 10:07 AM

I don't know which Province in Canada you are from, but each has a Minister of Agriculture with information on provincial standards.

For instance, here in Alberta you can find your answers on this site:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm.../all/agdex8017

Red Gate Farm 10-03-2013 10:27 AM

A square enclosing one acre is approximately 69.57 yards, or 208 feet 9 inches (63.63 metres) on a side.

stevenson 10-03-2013 12:40 PM

It would be easier to answer with more info.are you fencing 3 acres ? You would want no climb horse fence, if your horses dont get into the fence then you can use field fence any livestock supply co , and maybe home depot has the field fence. Dust either water it down or plant pasture . Dirt + horses = dust.
If you are just fencing the 3 acres , and it is a dirt lot, then just disc in the manure a couple times a year or once a year . If you are making smaller pens for example a 30' x 60' then the longest i would go without cleaning would be a week . every other day would be good.

PaintHorseMares 10-03-2013 01:21 PM

The no climb "horse fence" at home depot is typical field fencing and is fine. Most people use 5' high fencing and you still want to run a strand of electric along the top or they will always be leaning on/over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

MinuitMouse 10-03-2013 06:29 PM

I will be housing 2 horses...
Climb fencing? What's that?

O,O so much I don't know! My mom just said we also might have another two horses (not ponies like ours) coming in.

PaintHorseMares 10-03-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinuitMouse (Post 3787450)
I will be housing 2 horses...
Climb fencing? What's that?

O,O so much I don't know! My mom just said we also might have another two horses (not ponies like ours) coming in.

Basically "No climb" fence just has holes small enough (usually 2"x4") that a horse can't get a hoof in there and "step up".
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 10-03-2013 07:01 PM

so is this supposed to be a pasture or a dry lot? If its a pasture, 4 horses on 3 acres will turn the entire thing into a dry lot very quickly.