The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Thorough breed that won't run (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/thorough-breed-wont-run-28774/)

Muddybud 05-31-2009 07:55 PM

Thorough breed that won't run

I'm the proud owner of a 17 year old though breed gelding named Bud. We've had him for about six years now and he's been an angel. We have to board him at a stable that is about a 20 minute drive from my house due to the lack of good horse land around my town. As I said, he's been a dream to work with only one problem. He won’t go above a trot. The people we bought him from used him as a learning horse for young kids, so naturally they didn't want to risk him taking off with one of the kids. Anyway I've been trying to find out how to undo that training. I've asked around and no one has really had an answer. Little help here?

Whipple 05-31-2009 10:35 PM

Is it not spelled Thoroughbred. Or do different people spell it different ways?

Anyhow, I am of no other help. Sorry.

MyBoyPuck 05-31-2009 11:48 PM

Are you sure he's a Thoroughbred? I know Standardbreds sometimes don't have a clue about how to canter. I have no idea why a TB wouldn't want to run. I didn't know those existed. Mine would canter all day if he could.

LuckyLady 05-31-2009 11:53 PM

does he jump? if yes, try to jump a small obstacle to get him to canter... it worked for me and a haflinger mare I rode some time ago. Different breed, but it's the same problem so, maybe it will help you aswell!

twogeldings 06-01-2009 12:05 AM

Lots of clicking and maybe the use of a riding crop. Don't whack him around the rear with it, just tap-tap-tap. Right now I'm trying to do the exact opposite...teaching to walk rather than 'OH MY GOD LETS GO OKAY YAY WHOO LETS BUCK!'

xD Good luck with your old guy. Older horses can be so calming to be around :)

Nutty Saddler 06-01-2009 02:08 AM

try using another horse as a lead , if you go out together and the other horse breaks into a canter your horse should as well - to keep up. it will also be eaiser if you are headed for home.
As someone else has said - try jumping - it is easier to get a horse to canter on landing from a fence.

Muddybud 06-01-2009 07:05 PM

That's what his previous owner said he was. She trained him not to run while being ridden. He'll run in the field just fine.

Muddybud 06-01-2009 07:06 PM

No, before he was a trail horse.

Jdun722 06-01-2009 07:10 PM

Freelunge him. See if you can get him to canter in a paddock. Try it on a lunge line. If he does that then lunge him with someone on him. Then gradually move him off the lunge once he's performing nicely on the lunge being ridden.

Spastic_Dove 06-01-2009 07:13 PM

Jdun gave the answer I was going to give. :)
Just because he is a thoroughbred doesn't mean much if he's been used as a kids horse. I've been on a lot of horses that were used in lesson programs trying to get them back in "normal" riding...Jdun's advice has worked well for me.