The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   DIY Aussie Saddle Horn Removal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/diy-aussie-saddle-horn-removal-287970/)

TownesThatBigChestnut 10-03-2013 09:47 PM

DIY Aussie Saddle Horn Removal

I love riding (trail) in my Aussie saddle this summer, I just could never get used to the horn. Western friends kept telling me after awhile I wouldn't even notice it...but I do! Being an English rider (and my tummy not as flat as it used to be ;), I just always felt like it was in the way, especially on steep terrain. When I'm in trouble, I don't grab horn, I grab mane!

Immediately ripped my brand new winter tights by catching them on the horn. Seeing me suspended 6" off the ground by my pants would have made for a great YouTube video if the tights hadn't cost me $100 2 days prior. I've caught shirts and bras on it too.

The unexpected jump or buck is always a treat with a horn. Townes had lots of BOING in him last wkend, I thought I was going to lacerate my liver!

In keeping with my motto for this year (SCREW it...just DO it!) I had my handy fiancÚ HACK IT OFF! It's not an expensive saddle, just a used Outback (?) but it came out amazing! It was steel but he was able to cut it low and use the leather to cover the hole. I'm really, really pleased with how it came out.

Just hit the trails with it and it was like having a new saddle! (Not quite my riding partner's Tucker Endurance, but hey!) I felt like my position and even my hands were better without having that fricken horn in the way.

I can't believe I was too scared to do it sooner!
Posted via Mobile Device

Shoebox 10-03-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TownesThatBigChestnut (Post 3788306)
I love riding (trail) in my Aussie saddle this summer, I just could never get used to the horn. Western friends kept telling me after awhile I wouldn't even notice it...but I do! Being an English rider (and my tummy not as flat as it used to be ;), I just always felt like it was in the way, especially on steep terrain. When I'm in trouble, I don't grab horn, I grab mane!

Immediately ripped my brand new winter tights by catching them on the horn. Seeing me suspended 6" off the ground by my pants would have made for a great YouTube video if the tights hadn't cost me $100 2 days prior. I've caught shirts and bras on it too.

The unexpected jump or buck is always a treat with a horn. Townes had lots of BOING in him last wkend, I thought I was going to lacerate my liver!

In keeping with my motto for this year (SCREW it...just DO it!) I had my handy fiancÚ HACK IT OFF! It's not an expensive saddle, just a used Outback (?) but it came out amazing! It was steel but he was able to cut it low and use the leather to cover the hole. I'm really, really pleased with how it came out.

Just hit the trails with it and it was like having a new saddle! (Not quite my riding partner's Tucker Endurance, but hey!) I felt like my position and even my hands were better without having that fricken horn in the way.

I can't believe I was too scared to do it sooner!
Posted via Mobile Device

You can't just say all this and NOT post before and after pics! (and during, if you've got any.) And maybe method - I see a lot of Aussies sold with horns, it seems to make the value drop. I'd rather get a used one and hack the horn than spend the extra 200 on a hornless one!

DraftyAiresMum 10-03-2013 09:54 PM

Someone hacked the horn off my Aussie saddle. SO glad that they did!! Although, it made one of my friends freak out because she uses her horn as an "oh crap" handle if her horse gets frisky/ornery. She freaked cuz my gelding is green and her concern was "What if he bucks?!" First off, my gelding has NEVER bucked. Second off, you grab mane or you just ride it out. Not rocket science. She still doesn't like that my saddle doesn't have a horn and I've had it for going on three years. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

TownesThatBigChestnut 10-03-2013 11:11 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/members/74...mage-61642.jpg

The little "scratch" looking mark on the leather "in the hole" is wet coffee lol.

It's not perfect but I thought I would end up with something rough or sharp where the horn was. Like something I'd have to put duct tape over lol.

It just felt so good not having to work around it, especially dismounting!

Chevaux 10-03-2013 11:20 PM

I must say that's a good, neat looking job!

Shoebox 10-03-2013 11:25 PM

Was the leather moved out of the way, and then set back in place after the horn was hacked off? Or was he just really meticulous about it? Either way it looks good!

Dustbunny 10-03-2013 11:36 PM

What a good idea.
I don't care for horns. That has been my main reason for not having a western saddle. I ended up with a Tucker plantation. Best of all worlds for me.

TownesThatBigChestnut 10-04-2013 12:16 AM

He says he cut the leather off the top of the horn and that's the part that's laid in the hole.

Cat 10-04-2013 08:12 AM

Oh man - I really wish I had seen this before I sold my Aussie. I loved that saddle. But after a nasty bucking incident this summer left my stomach one solid bruise and a lot of pain - I decided to sell any saddle that had a horn on the property. My replacement saddle is okay, but not as nice as the aussie had been.

Lockwood 10-04-2013 09:02 AM

He did a nice Job on it!

Think I'll pull out my extra Aussie I don't use because of the horn and start hacking....