The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Horse is finally "getting" it. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/horse-finally-getting-288066/)

DriftingShadow 10-03-2013 11:58 PM

Horse is finally "getting" it.

4 Attachment(s)
I have struggled with my newest boy Whiskey for a while on the improper muscling of his neck. He was ridden very heavy handed, and braced against his former rider's hands, and in turn carried his neck high and his back hollowed out.

I have been working with him the last 12 weeks on working from behind, and allowing the desired headset to come from that. We have done work with a lot of loose reins so he has learned not to anticipate bracing, and we have done some brief work in side reins. I recently fractured my leg due to an accident on my other gelding and have been stuck at home. A friend volunteered to lunge Whiskey a bit tonight to see how he was moving, and she caught these awesome photos!

I compare it to the photo I have of him trotting with his former owner that I took while observing him at a show, Granted, yes, the first photo is just one moment in time, but that is genuinely how he moves at all times. Tonight, he put himself closer to a correct way of moving all on his own! No side reins or anything attached. He is learning to carry himself properly and I couldnt be more proud. The muscling on his neck is slowly changing as well. It is getting easier and easier for him to carry himself properly and he is beginning to be able to flex (which in the beginning he could not do at all).

Just had to share the wonderful news and the pics :)
The first one is him at a show on July 16, the second one is him under going his PPE on July 20 and the last two are of him today. If I didn't have his sock and half pastern to go by, I would almost think I was having a friend work the wrong horse. He has really made leaps and bounds! I couldnt be more proud.
What do you all think?

Attachment 294474

Attachment 294482

Attachment 294490

Attachment 294498

albertaeventer 10-04-2013 03:00 PM

Looking good! Correcting neck muscling can be very difficult, especially filling out that dip in front of the wither. You are definitely heading in the right direction, keep it up!!

Skyseternalangel 10-04-2013 04:43 PM

He's getting there slowly!

Northern 10-04-2013 06:30 PM

It's always great to hear of a horse taken out of bad hands & put into good ones: good job!

tinyliny 10-04-2013 10:52 PM

you can't, in all fairness, compare a photo of him moving on the lunge to one of him being ridden. it's not apples to apples.

DriftingShadow 10-05-2013 12:19 AM

I agree tiny! I will eventually post pictures of him when I am back in the saddle.

My main purpose was to focus on the way his muscles have been changing. Sorry! I should have been more clear. I only posted the first picture to illustrate what I believe to have led to his improper muscling in the first place
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 10-05-2013 12:26 AM

Sorry that I cannot see so well the muscling on him in the lunging photos. he is a pretty fellow!