The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Tips for first reining lesson?! (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/tips-first-reining-lesson-288082/)

Let it slide 10-04-2013 01:46 AM

Tips for first reining lesson?!

Howdy! I'm new here, and looking for a bit of advice.
I've been into reining for awhile and I'm in the process of training my own reiner. I've got an acquaintance who's got a couple reiners and has lots of experience with reining, and she picked up on my interest and invited me over for a lesson this Tuesday. I'd be riding one of her horses, since mine's not where I'd like him to be for this.
What tips can yall offer about this? I'm quite nervous, since I've taught myself pretty much everything I know, through experience and online resources. I never had a formal lesson in my life :oops:
Thanks for anything you can offer up!

Golden Horse 10-04-2013 02:17 AM

Go with an open mind and a humble heart, a smile on your face and your ears open.

I simply can't imagine how you can be a self taught reiner:shock:

Let it slide 10-04-2013 02:28 AM

Well, I'm not much of one:P Sounds somewhat immature, but I've watched several hundred videos, read hundreds of articles, and picked up tips from fellow reiners, so I've got enough knowledge to avoid making a fool of myself :lol: But I certainly don't claim to know a fraction of what I can learn! I've got a long way to go!

Let it slide 10-04-2013 02:28 AM

Thanks for the tips, btw! I'll definitely use those!

frpulliam 10-11-2013 04:04 PM

Hey,
Im a reining trainer and have been riding training and showing horses for years now. If you look back at the history of reining the guys who started the sport did not have anyone to teach them how to be a "Reiner". In the early days reining had only 1 spin each direction and the pattern was created by the judge 30 minutes before the class started. Aside of that the guys on the west coast had a totaly different way of showing a reiner than the guys on the east coast. Having said that anyone can be a reiner and teach themselves to rein a horse through a pattern. It never hurts to take a lesson of two from someone who has been in it longer than you. Ive had people come out to take lessons and Ive learned more from them than they learned from me. They key to becoming a great reiner is to understand that you dont know everything. Listen to your horse and let him teach you his strengths and weaknesses. And no matter what if you get frustrated just step off. People say it causes bad habits but the truth is if you become upset and mad but continue on riding your horse knows your mad. The end result is a mad rider and a scared horse. Reining horse are true Vaquero style horses, if they become scared then their job will not be done correctly.