The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Showing western (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/showing-western-28830/)

Shawneen 06-01-2009 03:16 PM

Showing western

Hello Westerners - I feel like I am in Oz!!

I am mainly an English rider, but I am planning on showing Western as well once I get home and up and running. I have ridden Western most my life for the comfort on trails etc - but I have no idea how to SHOW western.

What can you all suggest I should do before I get into it? Lesson? *gag* Watch videos? Any useful suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Spastic_Dove 06-01-2009 03:23 PM

What type of Western are you looking to show?

Shawneen 06-01-2009 04:18 PM

Western Pleasure and Halter probably - though I already know how to do Halter.

Shawneen 06-01-2009 05:06 PM

PS... I was looking more for the rider's part, not so much the horse.
I have taken some lessons in Western, many many years ago. Sit up tall, hand straight down behind your leg, hold the reins with index finger in between them. I may not even be remembering that right, but that is about my extent.

Jillyann 06-01-2009 08:32 PM

You basically got it right there. just look comfy, and have fun. haha

WesternPleasure27 06-05-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawneen (Post 318924)
PS... I was looking more for the rider's part, not so much the horse.
I have taken some lessons in Western, many many years ago. Sit up tall, hand straight down behind your leg, hold the reins with index finger in between them. I may not even be remembering that right, but that is about my extent.

Your free hand position will depend on if you're showing pleasure or equitation. For pleasure, that position is right; however, for the eq you want to bring your free hand up in front on the horn as if you were riding two handed to create balance and symmetry through your body.