The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   How long did it take you to trot well (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-long-did-take-you-trot-288458/)

MaximasMommy 10-04-2013 09:51 PM

How long did it take you to trot well

I'm taking two lessons a week. I've been taking lessons for about a month and a half. On a good lesson I can trot around the arena twice, before I inevitably lose my balance and...

So...... how long did it take you before you were at the "pssh trotting is easy!" point?

amethystdreams 10-05-2013 10:43 AM

Let's see I started riding the beginning of august 2012. I've rode off an on since then usually with a 3 month break because of finances. I just now feel like my trot is pretty good. but even given that i'm still pretty critical of myself. It has taken a while to get my legs and ankles to stretch to where I wasn't posting off the stirrup. But there is definitely a difference in the way it feels! In fact I was so proud of myself the other day and so happy that I was getting it right that I just about cried because it has taken so long but I finally got to my goal!!
It definitely feels easier now.

futuredoctor 10-05-2013 12:10 PM

I've only had like 6-7 lessons, and I can already manage a decent trot. I still forget little things like hand position though. My instructor reminds me and I quickly correct. I just started cantering last lesson.

CandyCanes 10-05-2013 12:30 PM

I haven't a clue. All I remember was when I was three years old getting a clear round on my pony over a course of 30cms :) I think I mastered a trot-ish by that time :P You can't really trot perfectly and be totally in sync with the horse at three so yeah :P

Gigembritt 10-05-2013 03:59 PM

3 months when I started taking lessons

Chickenoverlord 10-05-2013 04:08 PM

A year ands half of lessons every few weeks, after that I could do it with my hands behind my back.