The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rant about cob sizing :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rant-about-cob-sizing-288474/)

Viranh 10-04-2013 10:34 PM

Rant about cob sizing :(

Why the heck can't anyone seem to get it right? Or what do they think a cob actually is? Why can't they at least make the tack to the actual measurements that are given.

I have two mares who are about the same size--large ponies, really. I need a new black bridle. I have used several horse size bridles, and have found that it is impossible to get the cavesson strap short enough because the piece with the buckle is always too long. I have to punch the cheek pieces, too, but that's not such a big deal. The Smartpak bridles in cob size are a perfect fit, and I know what the measurements of them are. Smartpak doesn't have any simple black bridles, though. Everything comes with crank and flash+rubber reins. Bobby's makes some nice plain black snaffle bridles, and their cob size, according to their measurements, is exactly the same is the Smartpak bridle. However, it came today and the browband is seriously 2" too short and the noseband won't buckle. :evil::-x:-x:cry:

What do other people do with their in between sizes horses? A seriously, what would wear that bridle? A shetland? A porcelain doll horse? Anybody know of a bridle that comes in a wide and short size?? I can't even do a Bobby's custom, because I need cob size for the smaller cavesson strap, but this is integrated with the noseband that is waaay too small.

SEAmom 10-04-2013 11:17 PM

I hate shopping for bridles for my smaller Arab. I typically will only buy bridles and cavesons from Schneider's because that's the only brand/company that I know will sell me something that fits. Same reason why I only buy blankets/sheets from there. I don't know what I'd do without Schneider's.

AQHSam 10-05-2013 12:14 AM

I bought a used cob black that is a squosh too small for my quarter horse. Until i can afford a more custom fit (or buy the quarter horse size) I am sucking this up. It fits, but I think we would both be happier with a slightly wider (longer) browband. the overall length is good-ish... I am on the last available hole, but the caveson falls right that way and buckles nicely.

If your horse isn't as wide as mine in the brow this may fit. I paid $59 and cleaned it up nicely. Other than it had been sitting in a store for some time and was dusty it almost had no use.

I don't think yours will fit my horse, so a trade probably won't work. Let me know if you are interested in this bridle and reins. the reins are leather with the fancy stitching / lacing to help slippage in your hands.

i saw one online retailer had quarter size along with Cob. I think I am going to order that size next and hope for the best.

If you are interested PM me with your email address and I will send a photo.

SketchyHorse 10-05-2013 01:13 AM

I must be extremely lucky... I've never had problems with my cob sized bridles fitting. And they're just the cheapies, aren't even anything nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

clairegillies 10-05-2013 03:31 AM

it can sometimes be better, but more expensive, to buy the parts seperatley.. a headpiece that would fit a full size horse and a cob, then buy check pieces .... measure the horses face to get the right length... then get a browband again after you have measured, then get a noseband.
different manufactures have all different sizes from each other,,, also uk and usa sizes are totally different.
much like trying to buy clothes it does drive me mad they are never the same!!

Clava 10-05-2013 05:15 AM

I've never really had a problem, I buy cob size for my haflinger and my TB, but these days I'm more likely to replace just parts than a whole bridle..

Foxesdontwearbowties 10-05-2013 06:36 AM

I have the same problem with Pony sized bridles. The first I bought fit perfectly, none of the rest have so I never know what to order!

unclearthur 10-05-2013 06:40 AM

You pays your money...

Time was that saddlers made bridles, and though there were 'standard' sizes you could always mix and match parts to get a correct fit.

That was before price was king. Now hardly anyone buys this way because cheap mass production dropped prices and local saddlers are rare.

Shame, really :(

Viranh 10-05-2013 08:59 AM

I was thinking of buying a full size and having a saddler alter it, but as much as I've tried, I can't find anyone that even repairs leather, much less makes saddles, here in Missouri. Every small town in Montana has one, so I guess I got spoiled. All my old western tack is custom/handmade. I thought about a Jerry's Harness, which is hand made to measure, but I do not have $500 to spend on a bridle. For some reason English tack is so much more expensive. I may buy a full size and hang on to it until I'm back in MT in December and get it fixed then. I will just need the cavesson strap's buckle end removed, shortened, and reattached.

Cruiser 10-05-2013 10:13 AM

This is why as a owner of a used tack shop all bridles are labeled with measurements not Full,cob,pony,xl. All have a noseband, browband, and bit to bit measurements.

I have two labeled pony sized bridles (stamped into the leather) but one have a 24" noseband, 14" brow band and the other has a 22" noseband and a 13" brow band (these are on the largest they could go). Those inches can really make the difference.