The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How old is too old?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  HollyBubbles 
#1 ·
Lacey learns really quickly so I've been trying to do mix things up for her and my most recent idea is to give her little tiny, around 1 foot, jumps to jump. I'm not thinking I'd be riding her as she jumps them, they'd just be something I'd have her do on the lunge line.
Since she is 24 do you think that would be a bad idea to introduce some jumping? She's in very good condition for being 24 but I don't want to compromise her longevity or her long term soundness.

What do you think? Thanks!

#4 ·
I think it depends on how sound and healthy the horse is. I would never jump a horse with arthritis or laminitis or ringbone or anything like that, obviously. You just have to be careful with older horses because they're more breakable than youngsters.

If Lacey's in good condition, I think 12 inch jumps would be okay. Just watch her for any signs of discomfort. Beezie still jumps Judgment at Grand Prix level and he's 17. It all depends on the horse's soundness and fitness.

#5 ·
Before jumping her, I would get a complete physical. Since she's an older horse, it's just a good idea to make sure she's completely capable of handling something like jumping. If the vet gives her the ok, then there is no reason why you can't jump her over some small stuff sometimes.

Just really watch her health... especially joint health.

good luck!

#6 ·
I agree with eventerdrew - a physical would be a very good idea. When it comes to jumping older horses, you really have to go on a case-by-case basis. My horse is 22, & I can still jump him 3'6". We also used to have a gelding in our schooling program who I could still occasionally jump 3ft with up until he retired at the age of 30 (& he honestly could have kept going as a lower level jumper for several more years if his owner hadn't decided to retire & take him with her!). So it all really does just depend on the health of the individual horse.

#8 ·
I agree with Jessabell and counter the need for a physical. Assuming at her age she has some sort of arthritis, 12" isn't going to really hurt her as horses pick up their feet that much to canter in the field, esp if the ground isn't perfectly level. No need for a physical as it should be pretty obvious if she's at all stiff or sore from it, to stop and not do anymore. Good luck and sounds like fun for her!

#9 ·
She doesn't have any noticeable arthritis yet... I mean she's a little stiff sometimes but she easily get's through that with some serpentines and stuff.

I guess I'll try it and if she starts refusing or looking unhappy or anything like that I will definitely stop.

Thanks! And I will take getting her a physical into consideration becuase she is going to need one soon anyway...

#10 ·
See this horse?

Don't look at me, I dont EVER look like that, not even bareback. :oops: He looks awesome though.

He started to jump a year ago and he's 24. He jumps easily, and loves it. He jumps around 10 jumps a day at 3-4 times a week. The vet said he is exceptionally healthy and fit.

#13 ·
She actually jumps them at one foot. =P She's silly like that. Especially at the canter. She jumped it like it was 2 and half feet. Haha
I kinda doubt she already knows how just because a year ago when I first introduced trot poles she thought they were pretty crazy and wild. But I guess you can jump a horse without using trot poles first....

I tried it on Saturday and I think I need to put trot poles up to the jump for her or something becuase even though it was tiny she started rushing a little bit. She seemed pretty ok with it over all though (not refusing to do it or anything). The rushing could also have been from any jumping experiences she may have had with her previous owners because they pushed her pretty hard to do things she wasn't comfortable with. We'll hafta see.

#15 ·
Oh I did. I even gave her some grain even though she really doesn't need any. =P

That's my favorite thing about her, as long as I ask her the right way she's pretty game for anything. And she tries her heart out as long as she understands what I'm asking for and how to do it.
It's a bummer though that we didn't get together until a year ago, but yay for Arabian longevity.

And yay for amazing equine partners. =)

#16 ·
I agree with eventerdrew.
and if she's healthy enough to, i dont see why not. at 23 nearly 24, my Mare LOVES jumping, and is doing 90cm regularly, fully tacked + the weight of me and still flyin through the sky. Last year, she competed at the Masters Games. got gold, and cleared a round of 1m+ x-country with her previous owner.

This is her. so proud of my gorgeous girl :D :

(excuse my position) have only been riding one year, no trainer, nothing. left to myself completely (except for occasional photos by mum)

again, my postition=horrible!

at 23yrs old, she still takes off from a stride out occasionally. (excuse my position AGAIN lol)

then there's the times i get a little left behind.

So I guess it just goes to show, "age is but a number"
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.