The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What's a good sunscreen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/whats-good-sunscreen-28860/)

riccil0ve 06-02-2009 02:32 AM

What's a good sunscreen?

My poor girl's nose is burning. I'm using Equi-Shade sun screen in the morning. I like it a lot, it's thick, it doesn't run, and it's waterproof. She does, however, get most of it off by dinner time, so I wipe her nose off and put some aloe-vera lotion on it to help soothe the burn. My friend is using Banana Boat. I was just wondering what you use and what you think works and doesn't? Because I haven't seen an SPF thing on my Equi-Shade, but that might be because I'm not looking, lol.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-02-2009 03:19 AM

Desitin ( baby diaper rash ointment)

Taylor 06-08-2009 09:19 PM

There are some spray on products that go on like fly spray that work pretty well. For a white mussel you would need to apply more often but it soaks in so the horse cant rub it off as easily. The one that I use is called quick screen coat sunscreen.

quic screen coat sunscreen

wild_spot 06-08-2009 10:13 PM

I don't use sunscreen. I use zinc :]

My boy has a cotton noseflap attatched to a halter on 24/7, and when I ride, I cover his nose in thick white human zinc. He has never been burnt with the zinc, though he is almost ninja at 'zincing' other horses and people... Lots of horses with white spots on their rumps when he is around!

Following this method his burn has gone from where is noseband sits right to his lips, and cracking and bleeding, to nearly non-existant.

PaintHorseMares 06-08-2009 10:21 PM

On our mainly white mare that burns easily, any SPF 65 waterproof sunscreen good for babies works well (even the generic brands).

danastark 06-08-2009 11:57 PM

We just use a generic 45+ sunblock made for humans and slather our bald faced paint up good in the morning and he's fine. There is a powder sunblock for horses called Pony Block that works ok, doesn't attract as much dust as the lotions do. Cashel also makes a really nice fly mask that goes down past their nose.

danastark 06-08-2009 11:58 PM

I just noticed after I posted that you are from Marysville! I lived on Whidbey Island and when I was in college my parents moved to Tulalip for a while too. I went to WSU.

I sure miss riding in the green woods!

CheyAut 06-09-2009 04:25 AM

I agree with the Desitin and Zinc. Speaking of, I need to get some for my big blazed TB and my perlino mini...

SpringWolf 06-09-2009 01:13 PM

I use baby waterproof sunblock, cant think of the name off hand....has a high spf, i also figure since babies are always sticking various body parts in their mouths it shouldnt hurt my horse either. Always worked well for me.

o0hawaiigirl0o 06-09-2009 06:25 PM

I use a generic baby suncreen that is 50 SPF and water resistant. It works well enough and you can put it on every other day in the summer.