The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Aussie Style Endurance Saddle For A Gaited Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/aussie-style-endurance-saddle-gaited-horse-288818/)

Tarpan 10-05-2013 05:20 PM

Aussie Style Endurance Saddle For A Gaited Horse?

I'm planning on purchasing a decent saddle for my gelding. I'm wanting something lightweight that is suitable for a gaited horse. My gelding has just started gaiting and I want to nurture him. :) I'd also like something suitable for dabbling in endurance riding, and that fits my boy's shark fin withers.

I'm thinking about this saddle:

Kimberley Synthetic Endurance Saddle

My price range is $400 or less, and I want something that will last me at least 5 years.

SueNH 10-06-2013 08:19 AM

If you can try one on your horse first I would. I have an older leather one and while it looks like it fits my TWH it slides back with each step faster than a regular walk. I've fiddled with pads, fiddle with placement. If the rain stops later today I'm going to give a breast collar a try but I'm not real hopeful. I have two other saddles that fit her but I like my aussie. One more shot.

I've seen a few posts about people with gaited horses and aussie saddles not working well.

Tarpan 10-06-2013 11:24 AM

Even the Kimberly? One of the reasons I was looking into this brand was because they can custom adjust the saddle to your horse's wither tracing.

GracielaGata 10-07-2013 03:50 PM

I think I see lots of people talking about using Tucker Endurance saddles on gaited horses... At least when I researched them when i bought mine, lots of people were mentioning it (my horse isn't gaited so I didn't stop to read why so many liked them)... I love mine. I had an Aussie saddle prior to it, but it didn't fit her well, so I had to change. We both like this one a lot more. :)
Good luck!