The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Squeaky Wintec Dressage Saddle, any advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/squeaky-wintec-dressage-saddle-any-advice-28894/)

romeo543 06-02-2009 05:57 PM

Squeaky Wintec Dressage Saddle, any advice?

I bought a Wintec 500 Dressage saddle in January and I love everything about it other than it squeaks like no other. It originally had the synthetic leathers which I hated so I bought some nice Passier leathers hoping that might stop the squeak, and it didn't. I then noticed that the flexiblocks squeaked so I took those off, and it still squeaks. I've read something about baby powder? Any suggestions? And yes I know that a leather saddle would be much better but I just don't have the money right now to be a leather one so i'm trying to make this one work. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks!

wild_spot 06-02-2009 06:31 PM

A big thing I do with my wintec saddles is get the girth points changed over to leather. They always degenerate quickly and the plastic cracks. Not sure but that may be where is it squeaking as there is a fair bit of pressure.

ohmyitschelle 06-02-2009 06:46 PM

I've had my wintec 500 dressage for about 5 years now and my girth straps are synthetic and only just starting to crack slightly. I take really good care of my saddle, but I'm sure others do too, perhaps I got lucky for them to last this long lol!
My saddle sometimes squeaks. I'm not too sure, but I think it has to do with how the saddle can come apart when you change your gullet plate. I always make sure everything lays down inside correctly before closing it, as I've made the mistake before of not checking and found it would squeak... not incredibly loud, but enough for you to get irritated lol.
Good luck in finding your squeak!
x

wild_spot 06-02-2009 06:53 PM

Really? Well your lucky then!

Actually, when I think about it mine probably lasted a fair few years, i've had my original Wintec 500 for 8 years... lol. My new one hasn't started cracking yet, but having synthetic pints again makes me remember how much I hate them!

I love my wintecs :]

NorthernMama 06-02-2009 10:44 PM

Yup, baby powder / talcum powder. Sprinkle it between the panels. I've "heard" it work. Shouldn't need a whole lot -- start conservatively and apply as needed only.