The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   The Wind??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/wind-289/)

mommadog1956 01-11-2007 09:33 AM

The Wind???

this seems like such a silly question, but.........

how do you de-sensitize a horse to the wind?????

here in kansas we deal with it most everyday, my horse was born and raised here, but she is almost un-managable when it is windy. i'm not talking a little breezy, but when it is blowing more than 15 mph. it is to the dangerous point!! :x

she will run the fenceline, buck, rear, and kick out at most anything that is near her, even things that normally don't bother her. i can't hardly get near her to even try to calm her.

that is the only common factor - the wind!!! i've been watching this for several days now, and monday it was blowing and i couldn't even get her to stand still for grooming, then on tuesday, it was calm, i groomed her and even rode her. no probs. wednesday (yesterday) it was blowing again and there she was doing her fenceline running, snorting, bucking, etc.
i managed to go into the fence and feed her but nothing else. i know i should probably ignore her behavor and do my needed things, but i'm telling you, it is dangerous. :oops:

any help here????

barnrat 01-11-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

i've been watching this for several days now, and monday it was blowing and i couldn't even get her to stand still for grooming, then on tuesday, it was calm, i groomed her and even rode her. no probs. wednesday (yesterday) it was blowing again and there she was doing her fenceline running, snorting, bucking, etc.
i managed to go into the fence and feed her but nothing else. i know i should probably ignore her behavor and do my needed things, but i'm telling you, it is dangerou
When weather makes a drastic change the horses will get more hyped up. In your case she gets "hot"(as in bucking rearing and running) when its windy. You say that it is 15 mph wind and I think that your crazy to want to take her out and ride her when the wind is that bad, she probably thinks your crazy too! Back to what I was saying, It may be hard to De-sensitize a horse to this because the wind is constantly blowing plastic bags, newspapers, and most likely even dirt that can bother her when blown upon her.

What do you think is dangerous about her being "hot"?

barnrat 01-11-2007 09:54 AM

Did I take the wind being more drastic then it really is?

15 mph seems like a ton to me, but is it really? we probably dont get much more then 15 mph in utah.....

mommadog1956 01-11-2007 10:03 AM

if she is kicking out at her own "barn buddy" (female lab), that is usually with her, with no probs, then i call that dangerous. if she is throwing her head at ME and running up on ME, then i call that dangerous.

the wind is almost always blowing here in kansas, and i think its something she should have gotten use to, not reacting to. 15 mph around here is pretty normal. i think today it is suppose to be stronger, and we've already had gusts up to 30 mph this morning.

i should be able to, at the least, put hands on her and have her stand for me. at least i think i should. maybe i should just leave her alone??? is that what you are saying?? and what happens if i'm out riding a trail somewhere, and the wind comes up?? just get off and leave her there??? sorry can't do that. i should be able to manage her, even with a strong wind.

barnrat 01-11-2007 10:22 AM

I did not mean to hit any nerve, sorry.

I was asking if you thought it was dangerous for you or for your horse...What I would do is take a whip (to protect yourself if she gets to scary) go out to the pen she is in and make her run around you untill she gives you signs and acknowledges that your there (ears turned toward you) then signs that you are the boss mare ( head down and she is licking and chewing ) then turn your body away from her and see if she stops and walks toward you, if she does not then keep her running if she does she should allow you to touch her everywhere and she will follow you. If she does not do this then run her around somemore. (do this when its windy) (this is called Join-Up)

At this point you are able to catch her,( if not go back to join up) groom her and start riding, whenever she gets "hot" make her circle hard (head all the way to your leg!) when she relazes give her back her head if she continues then continue to circle her hard. You can even add a little more discipline and kick her while your circling her, but if thats not necessary then dont do it.

She starts acting bad toward the wind while your leading her then (with a small whip in hand) make her run around you in circles as if you were lunging her. Look for the same signs as you did for join-up.

This will only "protect" you and make it so she is better around you but for de-sensitizing make sure she is good for blowing objects (for example, plastic bags, newspapers, unidentifiable flying objects....etc)

(This may also desinsitize her for when aliens attack with flying missles and such, lol)

mommadog1956 01-11-2007 10:31 AM

it wasn't so much hitting a nerve as it was frustration........lol

ironically, i attempted those very things the other day and she didn't respond very well. i couldn't even get her saddled up. she wouldn't stand for anything. i made her run, and run, and run. by the time we were done, we were both sweating. :lol: at the point of quitting, it wasn't cause she finally came around, it was cause she had her ears pinned at me, and was obviously very mad. thats when the safety issue came about.

i will not stop, i will keep trying the methods you suggested. thanks!!!

barnrat 01-11-2007 10:43 AM

Dont get hurt though, I think I would blame it on myself. Lol.

mommadog1956 01-12-2007 08:49 AM

yesterday afternoon, (after posting all this), the wind died down some and i got her out, saddled her, and rode her. she was pretty frisky, but nothing like the other day. we had our usual issue of her trying to be in control (the neighbors got a kick out of it), and me demanding to be in control. when she would start throwing her head, rearing a couple inches off the ground, and dancing around, i just made her do circles. finally she got the idea what i wanted, and gave in. :roll: all total we probably rode about 3 miles.

it was quite ironic, that when i finally settled in for the night with my brand new john lyons magazine, what was the main story??? how to deal with your frisky horse, in yukky weather. it was a good read. :D (what timing)

i will just keep doing all thats suggested - be patient with my 4 yr old fussy girl, do circles (if necessary), and try to ignore the wind.

i'm afraid that i won't be able to ride for several days cause we have a major storm front that started to come in last night. right now we have light snow, but its expected to become drizzle/sleet/ice and eventually more snow. the temp right now is 17°F with a wind chill of 0°F.

yes, the wind is blowing......... :shock: :lol:

barnrat 01-12-2007 01:11 PM

What amazing timing!! really! wow! I have so many experiances like that.

mynameisntlola 01-12-2007 06:10 PM

I understand what you're talkin bout, we get really bad storms here and my horses run like mad back and forth sometimes. They are really on key and ridin is simply impossible. Well ridin here in the winter isn't possible anyhow cause everythin is frozen solid and the can't walk on it. The fall down onta their sides just walkin round their pasture.

I feel ya on the weather too, it's been -5 degrees here fer bout 2 days with wind chill bringin it down ta -20 degrees. And we're suppose ta be gettin a ice storm soon >_< If yer horse gets really unmanagable the best thing ta do is leave er alone in my opinion.

Good luck.