The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Rest in peace Stormy, I love you momma dog. (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/rest-peace-stormy-i-love-you-289394/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-06-2013 02:31 PM

Rest in peace Stormy, I love you momma dog.

I haven't had a great start this morning, so please excuse me if I make typos or ramble.

About 8:30am, my mom and I woke up and my Great Dane, Stormy, was groaning everytime she exhaled. She'll groan usually when she trys to lay down or get up, but this wasn't normal. We got up and she wouldn't pick up her head, but her eyes were clear and she was completely with it mentally. I rubbed on her and checked her gums, her heart rate, and her temperature which were all normal at the time. (I worked at a vet and knew how to do that, and what normal limits were) Of course it's a Sunday, and the vet where I used to work at which is right down the road is closed. I called my ex boss, and asked what I should do. She said take her to the Emergency Clinic, but they don't have credit and I have to pay up front. Which I can't. I applied for their credit thing online real quick which got denied, and my ex boss said she'd handle it and to take her. At this point, Stormy went downhill. She stretched her head out and was grimacing, I checked her gums again and they were turning grey and so was her tounge. My mom and I somehow managed to get my 140 pound dog into the back of our tahoe. I sat in the back with her and she didn't make it to the vet (which was across town) She kept having a harder and harder time breathing to. The point she was gasping and her chest wasn't moving. She stopped breathing, so I tapped her chest and called her name and she took another breath. Then she stopped completely.

I don't even know how to feel now. We've had her for 8 years, she's 9 1/2. She was diagnosed with kidney failure a month and a half ago, which she had IV therapy for two days for. Her kidneys were at 30% their normal function and her body just couldn't handle it anymore. Everything shut down. I feel horrible that she practically suffocated, I wish we could have made her more comfortable before she passed. I'm just out of it now, it doesn't seem real. Her toenails are still pink because I painted them a week ago for fun, like we used to do when she was young. It's weird, she usually has been real lazy but last night she was chasing me around outside playing. I'm glad she didn't suffer for any longer than she did.

I love you momma dog </3
Posted via Mobile Device

Samstead 10-06-2013 03:09 PM

so sorry for your loss, I love my dog to bits and dread the day I lose him. I read a story once about a family who lost a dog and their child handling it really well saying "I know why, people come to earth so they can learn how to be good, like nice to everyone right?" Believing this was pretty close his parents agreed and he continued "well dogs already know how to do that so they don't have to stay as long"

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-06-2013 06:06 PM

That's a nice saying. Thank you. We knew it was coming, I was just hoping she'd be around until Christmas. But I wouldn't want her to suffer until then either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 10-06-2013 07:55 PM

I'm so sorry Loves :( prayers and jingles for you and your family. Its hard losing an animal that you've gotten to see grow up and who has always been there for you.

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-06-2013 08:30 PM

Thank you Endiku. What made it hard was seeing her gasp for air she couldn't get. It was horrible, and I can't get it out of my head. I'd rather have that image and know I was there for her when she passed though, instead of her being alone.
Posted via Mobile Device