The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Basic flat work excercies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/basic-flat-work-excercies-289402/)

hoofbeatsaremyheartbeats7 10-06-2013 02:41 PM

Basic flat work excercies

I have been riding my friends horse basically as a kind of half lease since she doesn't have enough time for him. I am used to riding in a lesson where the coach is always telling me what to do and I dont want to get stuck just warming up trotting and cantering around the rung for a while cooling out and heading home! I want to actually work on stuff and improve!

We won't be jumping, he (the horse) and my friend have done some beginner/intermediate level dressage so i just want to work on improving my basic flatwork. As a basic idea of our level, I have been riding for a couple years, I have barely done any jumping but am at a level in flatwork where I could learn if I wanted to. The horse is more experienced than me, he is much more responsive than the old schoolies I am used to and has done more advanced things than I have so hopefully my rieing can improve with him!

So if you have any ideas of things I can do with him that would be great! I have some ideas, this is what I do:

Leg yielding
Smooth transitions
Smooth constant pace
Simple lead changes
Lots of circles and serpentines to work on flexion
My balance
Steering with my legs and weight
Framing/being on the bit (that's a big one any advice would be appreciated!)

Any ideas of things I could do with him would be great thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

sorral3 10-09-2013 03:44 PM

I think the list you put up are great areas to work on. Remember, riding needs to be fun, but safe so take it slow at first.

showjumperachel 10-10-2013 02:37 PM

You could do spirals in and out on a circle, I've always found that to be a good exercise. You could also go over raised caveletti, I have been incorporating this into my dressage work about once a week and have found its really been helping my horse engage his hindquarters! You could incorporate turn on the forehand and turn on the haunches into your routine too.

To work more on your balance, you could try to do lots of work at the trot and canter without your stirrups. Sitting without your stirrups is fairly easy but posting without your stirrups can be rather difficult! You could try doing that without reins too!

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully this helps a little bit! :D

SJxDreams 10-10-2013 05:26 PM

This book has helped me a lot with exercises for me and my horse..
(I know, it's an english book, but it's good!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Schooling-Exercises-Horse-Rider/dp/0715329758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381440289&sr=8-1&keywords=101+schooling+exercises

hoofbeatsaremyheartbeats7 10-10-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showjumperachel (Post 3835473)
You could incorporate turn on the haunches into your routine too.

To work more on your balance, you could try to do lots of work at the trot and canter without your stirrups. Sitting without your stirrups is fairly easy but posting without your stirrups can be rather difficult! You could try doing that without reins too!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Would you mind giving mw a brief explanation of how to turn on haunches? I've been working on turning on the forehand but am not sure how to do the turn on the haunches! And yes! I have been working on riding with no reins! I can canter without reins and want to be able to it bareback and be like the beach scenes from the black stallion! Hahaha! I need to do more work without stirrups though! He has a very bouncy trot!
Posted via Mobile Device

hoofbeatsaremyheartbeats7 10-10-2013 10:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device