The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Help need tips on show jumping! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/help-need-tips-show-jumping-289426/)

rhosroyalvelvet 10-06-2013 03:33 PM

Help need tips on show jumping!

Hi I have somehow been roped into doing interschools showjumping for my school but I dont really do much jumping. I mainly do dressage and showing and havnt jumped a course since early april and that was M&M working hunter only around 70's and all rustic fences. This will be a course of 80's (i no it may not seem very big to most but i havnt jumped a course that high for about 5 years) I will be riding a brilliant pony (not my own because all of ours are either too small or complete physcopaths when they see a pole let alone a fence) but wont get to even sit on her untill the middle of this week and the show is on sunday. So any tips to help me get a clear round would be greatly appreciated. Will put up pics of me jumping if wanted. Thanks so much :D

englishjumper16 10-19-2013 08:46 AM

I think pictures would help a lot just to get a feel of what your jumping position is but for basic advice eyes up, heels down. Of course you probably knew that but clear rounds are hard when you haven't jumped that high in a while and your riding a new horse. What I would suggest if you do have a least a few hours not at the show to ride him try and get a feel of what his canter is. If he has a big stride then you know you might have to hold him back a little if you have combinations. Another tip is know your course. If you haven't jumped in a while it would be good to do like roll backs and all different kinds of courses so if you come to the show and the course has a couple hard turns or a roll back then you'll be ready. I would also suggest that you work your way up with the pony. Even if it's not a course (which it looks like you won't have very much time to do) Start with two poles then put one of the poles to a jump, then keep putting it up till you get to the high you want and your comfortable with it. Each time you put up the jump work it both ways about 5 times then move on. You could also take a video of yourself. Even if you just a tripod and a old camera (or someone to film you) you can see where you went wrong or why you knocked that pole down instead of trying to guess. You could even upload it here I wouldn't mind taking a look and giving you my advice :)

englishjumper16 10-19-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishjumper16 (Post 3907273)
I think pictures would help a lot just to get a feel of what your jumping position is but for basic advice eyes up, heels down. Of course you probably knew that but clear rounds are hard when you haven't jumped that high in a while and your riding a new horse. What I would suggest if you do have a least a few hours not at the show to ride him try and get a feel of what his canter is. If he has a big stride then you know you might have to hold him back a little if you have combinations. Another tip is know your course. If you haven't jumped in a while it would be good to do like roll backs and all different kinds of courses so if you come to the show and the course has a couple hard turns or a roll back then you'll be ready. I would also suggest that you work your way up with the pony. Even if it's not a course (which it looks like you won't have very much time to do) Start with two poles then put one of the poles to a jump, then keep putting it up till you get to the high you want and your comfortable with it. Each time you put up the jump work it both ways about 5 times then move on. You could also take a video of yourself. Even if you just a tripod and a old camera (or someone to film you) you can see where you went wrong or why you knocked that pole down instead of trying to guess. You could even upload it here I wouldn't mind taking a look and giving you my advice :)

Wait did the show already happen?

rhosroyalvelvet 10-19-2013 08:59 AM

Yeah we already jumped. She was perfect all week and a pig in the ring backing off everything! We managed to get round in one piece anyway! Thanks for the advice though. Here are some pics of the show. Hope you can see them! Advice would still be appreciated as i am considering doing some small events on my next horse!
jumpinaction.net > Mullingar Interschools 13/10/13 > Interschools > Novice Teams
jumpinaction.net > Mullingar Interschools 13/10/13 > Interschools > Novice Teams

rhosroyalvelvet 10-19-2013 09:04 AM

Sorry the pics arn't the best as they are all face on I will look for some more (but not at show)

englishjumper16 10-19-2013 01:37 PM

Actually your position was pretty good! Of course I didn't see your full leg position but I did notice you leg might be back just a tad to far in one of the picture but the other seemed fine. You stay low in the saddle which is good and from those picture you seem to have good balance. I don't know your pony but I would suggest maybe a bit more release. I could be wrong just because my horse needs a lot more release so that he doesn't knock down a pole. But other then that your position is really good and you guys look great together!! :)