The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Strange gallop..need help please (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/strange-gallop-need-help-please-28943/)

biggame12 06-03-2009 04:31 PM

Strange gallop..need help please

I have a 10 year old mare and we just started riding her a couple months ago and her gallop is like a roller coaster. It feels like your just going up and down..almost feels like she bucks in the back then the front really fast. Just wondering if there is anything that would help her gallop to be more smooth. Thanks

smrobs 06-03-2009 04:42 PM

Does she travel with her head up in the air? Sometimes that will accentuate a rough gait more than a level topline. Have you checked to see if she is in any pain from the tack or maybe her feet are sore. Her back could also be out. On the other hand, unfortunately, not all horses have that lovely flat canter and run. Some of them are conformed so that a smooth gait is impossible for them and they are destined to be rough all their lives.

Veeva La Vegas 06-03-2009 07:16 PM

Well my app. qh has a REALLY smooth trot, its almost gaited, but not quite. when she goes into a canter, she kinda skips, then she goes smooth. I can't really figure out what she is going but when i am on the ground she lookes normal

GypsyTally921 06-03-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggame12 (Post 320221)
I have a 10 year old mare and we just started riding her a couple months ago and her gallop is like a roller coaster. It feels like your just going up and down..almost feels like she bucks in the back then the front really fast. Just wondering if there is anything that would help her gallop to be more smooth. Thanks

Try watching someone else ride her, or have a knowledgeable person watch you ride, see my comments below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veeva La Vegas (Post 320335)
Well my app. qh has a REALLY smooth trot, its almost gaited, but not quite. when she goes into a canter, she kinda skips, then she goes smooth. I can't really figure out what she is going but when i am on the ground she lookes normal

If it feels like she's skipping (or in OP's case bucking) she may be cantering on off-leads between the front and hind legs, and then she corrects herself and all is right. Really watch her feet carefully on the ground to see if the backs and fronts match up leads. She could also just be switching leads in general, I think that would give you a skipping feeling.

Also to OP-- unfortunately, as smrobs said, some horses are just destined to be rough. All you can do as a rider is learn how to ride their roughness... but it will make you a better rider in the end :)

Veeva La Vegas 06-04-2009 03:25 PM

I can't tell the difference, when i had someone else ride her, and my aunt watch her it seems normal, it will be kinda like... skip skip skip.....and then she will go into a nice smooth canter. We just think that thats how she changes leads.

amy 06-04-2009 04:46 PM

^^ I ride a TB/QH that, due to his conformation, his strides are really long and roung and he's just so...gangly.

For him I can collect him and it makes it a little better, but thats just the way he's made.

mls 06-04-2009 05:35 PM

First - I hope you are not galloping quite yet.

My guess is she is doing what we call the 'hobby horse' canter. More of an up and down stride than a forward stride. Does her tack fit? Cinch loose enough for her to move forward? Rider allowing her to move forward by letting the mare have her face?

She's 10 - what did she do previous to this time of her life?