The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do people think that...

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  RiddlesDarkAngel5 
#1 ·
A stronger bit will fix problem horses. I was looking at bits a little bit ago and found some of these. There is absolutely no reason why a horse would ever need a 1/8th inch twisted wire gag bit and if the person thinks they do, they shouldn't have the honor of having a horse. What amazes me is that enough people actually buy these things that they are able to afford mass production. It just makes me mad every time I see one of these cause I know that it cannot be comfortable to the horse just walking around, let alone when a rider is yanking on them. And in my area, that is usually what happens when someone upgrades to something like this is because they yank and pull all the time. :-x

If a horse cannot be controlled in a very mild bit, then the horse and rider both need retraining. :evil: :evil:

And I am not sure that this one is harsh or not but it just looks mean.

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO I downgraded my mare's bit soon after I got her. She was ridden in a single jointed kimberwicke and was just a beast undersaddle. I did some research and spent a pretty penny and got a myler low port comfort snaffle.
She rides so much better in that.

What I personally cannot stand is when a trainer tells the rider to get a harsher bit. The trainer should be training them!

#3 ·
I agree completely. When we bought our first horse, I knew nothing. A tack store salesperson talked me into a twisted wire snaffle. Thankfully, we found a trainer to help us out before I ever stuck it in her mouth. I still have it with the tags on it. I just keep it as a reminder to always do some research and ask lots of knowledgeable people before trying anything on a horse.
I guess they still make them because silly greenies like I used to be still buy them :lol:

#4 ·
Oh man, I would LOVE to know myself. I get so tired of reading how people want to know about a better (meaning stronger) bit to use on their horse. You tell them to go back a few steps in the training process and they don't want to do that! It's irritating!

I think with very few exceptions, they could be ridden in halters.

It's about good training. If your horse is running through the bit, he's not listening to your legs/voice or there are other issues. Instead of going to a strong bit, go back to the ground and get some respect and then move ahead.

People just have no patience. This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

#5 ·
there are people looking for a quick fix in every part of the world! to me it's the same thing as those quick fad diets that make you "melt fat in days with no hard work"! unfortunately in this case it's the horses that suffer from people ineptitude.

don't get me wrong, I don't think every horse should go in a snaffle in every situation. certain horses in certain hands do very well in a stronger bit.. but seriously? a bicycle chain? (first in the 3rd row) idiots.

#6 ·
I think with the right training and patience there'd be no need for those stronger bits. There are always exceptions of course, but the majority no way. Those stronger bits were designed for impatient people not horses!!!

#12 ·
I think with the right training and patience there'd be no need for those stronger bits. There are always exceptions of course, but the majority no way. Those stronger bits were designed for impatient people not horses!!!

A few weeks ago I attended a class with one of the Myler brothers at our local tack and feed store. Of course someone asked what bit they could use that would "put more stop" on their horse.

Mr. Myler looked them square in the eyes and said the same thing you did Solon. More training and patience. Made me smile. :)

#9 ·
My one gelding Gem, was ridden in a tom thumb. I didnt know at the time how bad those are (talking about the American one, not the Australian one). But Gem was so sweet and just didnt seem like he need a bit. My fiance test rode him bitless and he listened so he hasn't had a bit in his mouth since.

#10 ·
I ride Blue is a slow twist full cheeck when jumping because she gets so exited and I need the little bit of extra control, but I don't yank at her and she is really good. I do ride her in her halter all the time, I agree that if you need a chain and spikes to control a horse, you have some serious issues.

#11 ·
Solon, we have that same bit hanging in our tack room. The shanks on mine are shorter but the mouth is the same. There was only 1 horse that was ever used in it and that was the old buckskin horse that I rode growing up. The only time it was ever used is when Dad would team rope on him. He was a very different horse with a personality like I have never seen. If Dad was riding him, no matter what he did, sometimes Buck would just ignore him completely and go the way that he wanted to. For the first 5 years we had him, we had to keep a solid chain tie down on him to keep him secured at a roping or show. He would just nose through and break everything else. If he could get his head over it, he would climb it. It didn't matter if it was fencing, pickups, trailers, or people. For the kids, he was the perfect kid horse and always went where we told him but with an adult, he was a whole different story. He was the type that the only way to get his attention was to really inflict pain on him. Dad tried everything else but Buck would almost just laugh at him. He was a true outlaw horse that Dad saved from the killer truck and he did belong there. He was the one exception to the rule though. No normal horse should ever need anything more harsh than a simple snaffle or grazing type bit.

#14 ·
For what it's worth, I show and occasionally ride in a bit that looks somewhat like this with bit shorter of a shank and a bit higher of a port:

What do we ride when I don't use that? A halter, brideless or with a plain D-ring snaffle. So why do I ride with that kind of bit for shows? Because I don't have to move my hands at all. I can twist my wrist slightly, and the horse feels it. This way, a judge cannot tell that I am asking for anything. Now, I can control my horse completely using leg commands. I use a bit to set his head in a certain place, that's really all. I use neck command for any more 'refined' riding.

So yes, while some of those bits ARE cruel, not all of them are, and when used correctly are no harm.

#15 ·
my arab goes perfectly in a french link snaffle, nothing harsher because he wont tolerate it. any why wont he tolerate it? because when he was first trained (for reining) they used those harsh western bits and yanked on him. it took me months to gain his trust and for him to trust that i wouldnt yank and hurt him. he loves his french link and i've never ever had problems with him stopping or anything.

it just broke my heart to see him stop defensively and tuck his nose everytime i asked for a halt because he was afraid i'd pull and it would hurt. the fact that those trainers did that to him makes me so mad. but its all better now. and he's the poster child for downgrading your bit for a happier horse. never ever had a problem stopping him in his current bit and he listens great.

#16 ·
Sixofdiamonds, I actually consider that a very mild curb bit. On all my broke horses, I use something almost identical to this:

And yes, it can be harsh if I am harsh with my hands. Like all other bits. However, most of those that I posted are harsh even with light hands because they are designed to be harsh to create the illusion of control. I believe that for a cowhorse, a bit similar to this or the one that you posted is the ultimate upgrade and they should never need anything harsher. My QH Denny has to be ridden in a non-leveraged bit because he is very hypersensitive. So, I stick him in a simple D-ring snaffle and he does great.

My jury is still out on the Rutledge bit though, I don't really know if it is as harsh as it looks or if it is milder because of it's design. If anyone else knows, you are more than welcome to enlighten me. :)

#17 ·
most people don't want to accept that they're not as light as they THINK they are, OR, don't want to take the time to go slowly with their horse. I know a lady that went through literally dozens of bits on a horse that for me, never needed anything more than a ring snaffle, or a bosel.
I heard 'my horse is tossing his head - why does he do that?'
I would say - you're too hard with your hands. lighten up, and go back to the round snaffle. which was always immediately followed by 'oh no. I know I"m being very soft'. OK. this kept up until she had him rearing up. Then it was 'why is he doing that???' I said 'like it or not, you're too heavy handed. put him in a hack or a bosel, and keep the hell out of his mouth if you can't lighten up'
Course, she wouldn't listen to that until she'd heard it 4 or 5 other times from other people. Leaves you thinkin' WTF???

#19 ·
For the main part I mainly ride young inexperienced horses. Im always starting or fixing a horse it seems. Whenever I used to start a horse I used the standard "D" ring snaffle. After doing some research and talking to a few people I found a new bit that I like even more. I think Myler may have been the one to bring it to my attention. Anyways the thought behind it was that even a snaffle can pinch the tounge at the hinge. So the bit I now use is hinged twice and is alot softer and does not pinch.

It looks similar to this one but with short curved shanks

#21 ·
My boy was deemed "too difficult to handle" & put into an early retirement because his owner kept sticking harsher & harsher bits into his mouth & still couldn't get him to behave & stop running away with her. Funny how I stuck a loose-ring french link snaffle in his mouth & took the time to gain his trust & now he's a complete lamb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.