The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   hate to see this (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/hate-see-28958/)

rottenweiler 06-03-2009 08:36 PM

hate to see this

Man, if I could afford a horse right now this one I would HAVE to get
TB mare needs to go or going to auction 6/6

darkwillow 06-03-2009 08:45 PM

I hate it when people send their horses to auctions. All decent horse folk avoid that place like the plague. I once saw a stallion at an auction who was so obviously drugged up it wasn't funny.
Having now said that, that mare is a lovely horse and will probably go to a decent home, or a dealer to go to a decent home.

Joshie 06-03-2009 08:52 PM

Well, she might get $150 at an auction. Ads like that are just trying to get those who want to save a horse so that the owner can make more money.

There certainly are decent people who purchase horses at auctions because they are so cheap.

Solon 06-03-2009 09:00 PM

A lot of people will put that in an ad because people will fall for it and pay the money. Any smart person knows the auction prices are low these days and they wouldn't let a horse go for a couple hundred dollars when they could get more.

Might not be the case here, maybe they do just want to get rid of the horse, but I'd bet by listing the date they'll get a lot of people call because they don't want to see a horse go to auction.

appylover31803 06-03-2009 09:06 PM

I agree with Solon. It will also rush someone into making a decision since they only have a few days to really think about it.

rottenweiler 06-04-2009 08:31 AM

Believe me I sat thinking about that horse all night. I thought about offering $500 cash..but then I'd have to pay board as well and there's no where close to here. I only have 1 day a week I'm able to ride. If there was room at the barn I ride at now, I would ask if I could have free board in exchange for working her horses (as I do now)...but there's no room. Plus I'd have to keep it a secret from my hubby cuz he'd KILL me if he found out! The horse I used to have came from auction so there ARE decent horses there. I just keep telling myself "I can't save them all"

appylover31803 06-04-2009 01:52 PM

I dont think anyone said there aren't decent horses at the auction. I've seen some very nice horses go through the auction. But if you send a horse through the auction, you aren't guarenteed much money with the way the horse market is.

I know a few months back there was a Gypsy Vanner that went through a local auction and sold for under $1,000. I want to say it was around $400 but i'm not sure.

rottenweiler 06-04-2009 04:39 PM

Oh I didn't mean to insinuate that someone said there were no decent horses at auction...what I meant is that a lot of people assume horses that go to auction end up as dog food or whatever, and I was just saying that there are people like myself who bought one to ride and take care of. That's all. Maybe trying to make myself feel better about if this poor horse DOES go to auction, maybe there will be someone like me out there who really wants a horse but can't afford a big dollar price and will take that horse home and love it for the rest of it's life

appylover31803 06-04-2009 06:15 PM

sorry for the misunderstanding rottenweiler.

I've known quite a few people to that have found excellent horses at the auction.

With the way the market is, and horses not selling, going to auction is kind of like a sure way to make money and get the horse off your hands.

rottenweiler 06-08-2009 04:52 PM

you were right, just a ploy to get the horse sold quick. It is still listed on craigslist for a little bit cheaper