The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Picking up feet...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/picking-up-feet-29003/)

AussieDaisyGirl 06-04-2009 07:39 PM

Picking up feet...?

Carolina came to me with nasty feet. I've been cleaning her feet each evening with her grooming session. I don't have to do much because her soles are kinda flat against her frog. But I've also been painting each foot as directed for the thrush.

She now acts like her feet are tender. She won't walk on the gravel of our driveway and when I go to pick up her rear feet she moves away until she can't anymore (either backed against something or my husband holds her still).

Should I have the farrier come out?

ivorygold1195 06-04-2009 07:57 PM

you have to be care full with the stuff for thrush if you use it for to long an can have the reverse effect and it starts burning the foot and it hurts the horse

NorthernMama 06-04-2009 10:26 PM

When was the farrier out last? Is there any heat in her feet? Is she bearing weight on them evenly or favouring the toes or heels? Do you have any pictures?

I agree that many thrust treatments are not meant to be used every day. They can be quite agressive. What are you using and how are you applying it?

White Foot 06-04-2009 10:30 PM

Thrush can do that, and if the sole are flat to her frog that could be the major issue, if the frog is flat and worn down you might have to try to get shoes if you don't already. What your describing can be a whole range of things wrong with her, i would suggest to get someone out to look. And catch the problem before it worsens.

smrobs 06-04-2009 10:34 PM

I would have the vet come out before the farrier just to make sure that there is no other problems coming up. A horse's feet are so delicate and there are so many things that can go wrong with them. Please have the vet check her out just to ensure that she is not developing a much worse medical problem than thrush.

AussieDaisyGirl 06-05-2009 09:51 AM

I only put the thrush treatment on once, exactly as the bottle told me to do it.ee, having such flat soles is not cool.

She saw the farrier last on Saturday, before she came to me. I know she was seen because when I went out to inspect her it looked like she hadn't seen a farrier in at least a year. I told them she needed to be seen by the farrier before they delivered her. They had to have seen the thrush, it was very bad.

She was vetted on Friday by my vet.

She has no heat anywhere in her legs or hooves. I suspect that she has tender feet because of being trimmed for the first time in a very long time and I also suspect she will need shoes to get her feet up off the ground directly.

NorthernMama 06-05-2009 11:51 AM

It could be that when the farrier did see her, she got a fright. Especially since she hadn't had her feet done in some time. So you may have a combination of sensitivity and fear going on. I would be very patient with her feet and give her lots of praise when she gives you her feet. Don't keep them up very long until she gets more confident with it.

She may be sore because of the trim or there may be more issues going on due to the lack of previous care. I would hold off on the shoes until you have a better handle on exactly what is going on. Do you have a choice of farriers in your area? Maybe get someone else out to see her.

Pics would be nice.

AussieDaisyGirl 06-05-2009 08:42 PM

There are a few farriers out here. A couple of really good barefoot farriers. I called one of them and he'll be out next week.

I have pictures of her feet in another thread about her "she's a mess" is the title.

Joshie 06-05-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieDaisyGirl (Post 321468)
She saw the farrier last on Saturday, before she came to me. I know she was seen because when I went out to inspect her it looked like she hadn't seen a farrier in at least a year.

She was vetted on Friday by my vet.

She has no heat anywhere in her legs or hooves. I suspect that she has tender feet because of being trimmed for the first time in a very long time and I also suspect she will need shoes to get her feet up off the ground directly.

I'm betting that her feet hurt because it had been a very long time since she'd had her hooves trimmed. Thrush can also hurt like the dickens!

White Foot 06-05-2009 11:57 PM

I learned today that thrush is anaerobic, so as soon as air reaches the bacteria it kills it on contact.