The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Switching from field to stall board officially! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/switching-field-stall-board-officially-290041/)

iDressage 10-07-2013 10:07 PM

Switching from field to stall board officially!

My horse has been in a stall before but this will be a new routine for the both of us.
I need to know about dealing with the hot and cold weather in stall board, everyday stall board precautions (cooling down and whatnot). I'm pretty sure I know the basics but because I've only ever been on field board this is totally new.

I'm really excited!
Any advice appreciated :)

Lexiie 10-09-2013 09:05 PM

This is probably dumb, but does this mean your horse is stalled 24/7?

Shoebox 10-09-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 3829945)
This is probably dumb, but does this mean your horse is stalled 24/7?

This is what I'm wondering. Does the horse get turnout during the day? (Or night?)

iDressage 10-09-2013 09:18 PM

Sorry I meant to clarify that! She is on a regular turnout schedule, so is in the stall all night (with winter), fed in the morning, then turned out till the evening (4/5 or so Idk) then brought in, fed, and stalled.

Lexiie 10-09-2013 09:20 PM

Oh! That's not so bad. Is their a reason you don't want her out in the winter??
My mare doesn't have shoes, so she's on turnout almost 24/7. (except for her feedings and if we're having really bad weather)

iDressage 10-09-2013 11:11 PM

I would like her out as often as possible because of her arthritis and to keep her moving and she likes that environment ya know?

AQHSam 10-09-2013 11:28 PM

I recently moved my horse from one location where he was field 24/7 to stall with daytime turnout.

The first week was a killer. I almost died at the decision bc he appeared so miserable and was terribly mannered. The second week was better. He was originally alone in the barn (2 stalls) and that was hard on him. 6 weeks later he has a barn buddy and is healthy and well mannered. Phew.

If this is a move and stall, be prepared for the worse. It could take a few weeks for him to settle in. I didn't expect that so it freaked me out bad.

iDressage 10-10-2013 09:27 AM

To be honest, it's freaking me out. She doesn't mind it. She loves the stall. I'm more worried about her arthritis and her not being active enough, quite honestly. Apparently when she was on daytime turnout she wanted to come in and eat the hay that was provided inside lol

iDressage 10-10-2013 10:12 AM

Is it better to turn her out in the rain as long as its 50 degrees or above, or is it better to keep her in even with her arthritis?

gypsygirl 10-10-2013 10:15 AM

I would turn her out in any weather!
Posted via Mobile Device