The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Whip cracking! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/whip-cracking-29011/)

wild_spot 06-04-2009 09:20 PM

Whip cracking!

Does anyone on here do whip cracking, for fun or for work?

I've always enjoying giving it a try every now and then, but since I sarted to show my ASH, cracking a whip on horseback is part of the working pattern so i've had to work on my technique a lot.

Recently I was lucky enough to have a go with the 3x Australian champion, who did a demo at the Sydney Olympics. Wow! Within 20 minutes he got me cracking two whips, slow figure eights (one forward crack, one backward crack) And beggining on fast figure eights, which are the basis of one of the first combination tricks, I forget the name, but the explanation is 'one for the cow, one for the horse, and one for show', i.e. a fast figure eight (in front - cow, behind - horse) and another full circle crack.

It was so much fun! I've decided to get my own pairs of whips and start practising and trying to learn more tricks... Only problem is that for the pair I want it's $650. lol. So I have to wait for christmas.

Anyone else any good at whipcracking?

smrobs 06-04-2009 09:23 PM

Nope. I tried it once when I was a kid and pulled an Indiana Jones and hit myself in the face with it. Haven't tried it since. LOL.

brookelovesparelli 06-04-2009 09:35 PM

I can crack a lunge whip... lol :P

wild_spot 06-04-2009 09:38 PM

Lol! Yep, it sure hurts when you get youself instead! I've done it many times :S

wild_spot 06-04-2009 09:38 PM

Have you seen me crack the stockwhip? You realise how crappy the crack is from the lunge whip when you can crack a stockwhip :p

brookelovesparelli 06-04-2009 09:46 PM

Yes lol, But i can't lol so i'll stick to cracking the lunge whip lolsa! :D

Kentucky 06-07-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 321266)
Lol! Yep, it sure hurts when you get youself instead! I've done it many times :S

yes ma'am, they do hurt but a stock whip I have cracked was easily to crack and hard to hit yourself with (I have used those to work cattle) a bull whip is harder to crack but easy to hit yourself with.

JustDressageIt 06-08-2009 02:21 PM

I cracked myself in the butt and called it a day.

I am jealous of those who can correctly crack a whip though - you'll have to get video!

Sophie19 06-08-2009 03:05 PM

My fiance is a big Indiana Jones nerd and can do several different cracks with a 8 foot bull whip. My favorite is when he swings it in circles over his head and then cracks it. I've tried it a few times, got a few good cracks out of it. But I have to do like 10 fails for every successful crack. The craziest part about it is how loud the cracks are. They sound like gunshots.

wild_spot 06-08-2009 06:22 PM

The swinging overhead one is the first one I taught myself, lol. And many an ear was caught wehile I was practising!

I've never tried cracking a bullwhip, I imagine it would be very different.

The only time I get myself now is when i'm trying something new... But it's fun so it's worth it!

Once I get my good whips i'll see if I can get video :] I might have a video of me cracking it off Bundy in w working class somewhere... i'll have to look!