The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   new filly (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-filly-290129/)

sunhorse 10-08-2013 12:02 AM

new filly

My boss is getting a 2 year old filly from somewhere is seattle and it is coming from a feed lot. I work around the horse she has now in the paddocks cleaning and feeding also watching the herd behaviour. Now i don't know what the filly is going to be like but i want to know what i can do and what could be some problems she could have. my boss is not watching me all the time so i have to do in the moment stuff all the time but it has not been bad because all the horses I'm working with are trained or very human friendly. ill post a update when she comes with a name and a pic maybe.

SweetTyree 10-08-2013 08:48 PM

Treat her like you would any other horse... you would be surprised at some of the horses that come from feedlots (My horse James , used to be a stallion you would never know). She might be scared of you or people and may spook easily about things but shes probably not a vicious carnivore lol. If shes scared she'll likely stay as far away from you as possible and you won't have to worry :)

sunhorse 10-08-2013 09:11 PM

i want to have her trust me and the pic that i have seen already a women has a halter on her and is standing close. so i think she may be a good little horse i really wish i was that bought her.we all can't get what we want lol.

SweetTyree 10-08-2013 09:38 PM

If shes been haltered she will probably be fine! :) Good luck with her , hope you get to work with her :)

Cherie 10-09-2013 08:07 AM

Just remember that trust comes out of respect. You cannot love and pet a one into trusting you. It is just how a 'herd' animal responds to a person.

Treat her like any other horse. A horse's background cannot be changed. It is not necessary to even know a horse's background. They live 'in the moment'. If a handler does the right thing and has the right response for anything a horse does and knows how to make that horse to the right thing for the stage of training it is at, the past means nothing.

loosie 10-10-2013 01:44 AM

Are there specific problems associated with feedlot horses? Having absolutely no experience of 'feed lots' or horses from that persuasion, this post reads to me like... "I want to know what I can do with an untrained horse & what problems there will be". Sounds like you don't have any experience with training horses? If so, I would be looking to have your boss or other hands-on mentor to teach/supervise. It's too broad & skilled a subject that you can learn enough from the internet for & untrained horses are easily ruined with 'wrong' training.

sunhorse 10-14-2013 12:26 PM

97tkgjh

sunhorse 10-14-2013 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 300842

Attachment 300850

loosie 10-14-2013 06:34 PM

^Gorgeous!

sunhorse 10-14-2013 11:33 PM

ya they are the pics that where sent to my boss from the feedlot. the people at the feedlot think that she is a full andalusian or cross