The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lump? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lump-29014/)

White Foot 06-04-2009 09:45 PM

Lump?

About a month ago i was putting Gunthers halter on and noticed a HARD bump, (about the size of a grape), right where the muzzle meets the chin. He is eating, keeping on weight and is spirited as hes always been. I can pinch the bump and everything without him flinching...

After getting both the horses shots, shoes and basic necessitys i have only money that I've saved for HUGE OMG emergency's to spend on the vet (we have a huge shortage of large animal vets so that is extra $$ for the travel fee). I'm thinking it's him shedding his cap but i'm not positive. I did however call the vet and they said the only time i should worry is if it was a mass that is squishy to the touch.

What do you think?

smrobs 06-04-2009 09:49 PM

It could just be a calcium deposit from an injury or any number of things. Since the vet did not seem overly concerned, you may just want to keep an eye on it. What kind of bit do you ride him in; snaffle or curb?

And if you wouldn't mind explaining "shedding his cap" to me. I am not familiar with that phrase. Thanks.

White Foot 06-04-2009 10:00 PM

He's ridden in a snaffle, which even with the lump still doesn't seem to bother him. Around 4 is when they loose their "baby" teeth, that what i meant about shedding his caps.

smrobs 06-04-2009 10:12 PM

Ah, okay. I had just never heard it phrased that way. The reason I asked about the type of bit is because those are common on horses that are ridden firmly in a curb bit with a curb chain. I just wanted to discount that as a possibility. If it causes him no discomfort and the vet is not concerned, I would just keep an eye on it and take action if it suddenly gets larger or turns soft. If you want, you could probably just have the vet take a look next time you take the horse for something else. :)

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

twogeldings 06-04-2009 11:59 PM

Perhaps a tick bite? I've pulled ticks and they have left behind a small-grape sized, hard, lump. They usually go away with no complications after a few days, though.

Nutty Saddler 06-05-2009 01:51 AM

If you think it might be a Cap why don't you open his mouth and have a look / feel around his teeth .

White Foot 06-05-2009 07:05 AM

Thank-you smrobs.:-) A friend told me it could be a calcium deposit and it very well could be, i tried hot packing it once i noticed it for about two weeks and it did nothing.

twogeldings, i actually have never seen a tick on a horse until this year.. Thanks for the suggestion but it's not a tick bite.

Nutty Saddler, I've tried and it feels "normal" and nothing looks bad but i honestly don't know what i should be feeling for..

Nutty Saddler 06-05-2009 07:31 AM

Try getting in touch with RYLE . She is a vet technician and is probably the best person to advise you .

White Foot 06-05-2009 01:42 PM

Ok, thanks! I will send a message to her.