The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   How bad are his knees? 3rd level dressage prospect? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/how-bad-his-knees-3rd-level-290465/)

1322271927queen 10-08-2013 03:27 PM

How bad are his knees? 3rd level dressage prospect?

1 Attachment(s)
I want to do combined training and maybe get up to 3rd level in dressage. I'm schooling second right now. I came across this horse while looking for a horse to buy. I like big thoroughbreds but this one is huge (17hh) but his legs match his body. He doesn't look thin boned in his legs. He is over at the knee and croup high. He looks like he raced but his owner has had him since he was 3. Does he look like he has any old injuries? He is now 8yrs. old and was a trail horse for this guy who must have rode him allot by the looks of the horse's muscles. I attached a photo and a video of him trotting.

1322271927queen 10-08-2013 03:30 PM

Here's another photo, video wouldn't upload

1 Attachment(s)
I"ve attached another photo.

DuckDodgers 10-08-2013 03:34 PM

Neither photo is the best for conformation critique (a rider in one, and his lower legs covered in the second), AND I'm not the best at critiquing conformation, but he would definitely not be my first choice for 3rd level dressage.

1322271927queen 10-08-2013 04:40 PM

I'm not looking for a warmblood

I know he's long, croup high and slightly ehw necked but he has a very floaty trot, has impulsion and not all thoroughbreds have extension with impulsion. His neck isn't really long either. I'm just worried about his knees having problems and his back not being able to come round. Also his back leg looks very straight. Is it too straight to handle collection? I might only go to second level and do eventing with him.

tlkng1 10-08-2013 05:43 PM

That high croup almost makes him look like a turning sway back. I as on the dressage prospect hunt not too long ago and in truth, I wouldn't have even made this one a consideration.

As I was told many times, any horse can get trained to a certain level..they can do the movements...whether or not they are actually competitive at that level is something else.

CLaPorte432 10-08-2013 05:46 PM

889 Attachment(s)
pass. he is very over at the knee. almost appears tied in at the back of the knee too.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 10-08-2013 06:32 PM

My horse is slightly over at the knee but that horse is really bad, I need my horse to stand next this guy so he will look straight, lol. His neck is on upside down as well and muscled that way from incorrect riding. It's going to take some work to correct that.

NBEventer 10-08-2013 06:42 PM

If you want to be competitive? I would pass. Plus his conformation leads me to suspect there would be soundness issues down the road...

DuckDodgers 10-08-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1322271927queen (Post 3821641)
I know he's long, croup high and slightly ehw necked but he has a very floaty trot, has impulsion and not all thoroughbreds have extension with impulsion. His neck isn't really long either. I'm just worried about his knees having problems and his back not being able to come round. Also his back leg looks very straight. Is it too straight to handle collection? I might only go to second level and do eventing with him.

You don't need a warmblood to do 3rd level dressage, but even in a TB you can do much better conformation wise. My QH is a fantastic little dressage horse- you just need to look until you find what you want. Pass on this guy if you truly want to have a 3rd level (or even second level) dressage horse as you next horse is my opinion.

JustDressageIt 10-08-2013 06:55 PM

Not a horse I'd expect to stay sound long term. I'd pass.
Posted via Mobile Device