The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What would you do? please help!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gabrielstriumph 
#1 ·
alrighty, i have a bit of a delema.

the little black arab mare in my icon is the mare im training at the moment. she was purchased for me to train, and eventually race in endurance with. once i felt like i was ready to move out of this barn, i can purchase her and take her with me. he is the one who actually owns her, but its done this way to save us (the riders) money. we work off all of the expenses.

my boss wants me to start ridding her, and shes only 2 years and 3 months. i do not want to begin riding her, i feel like it is far to early. he continuously claims that no, its not, and that she will be fine. he only wants me to walk around in the round pen, but lately he has been talking about taking her on walk rides on the trail.

i really want to wait until shes about three, but he continuously brings it up. i try not to even mention her, because i know what he will ask. once he does, he becomes angry about the fact that i dont ride her.

im worried that he will assign the horse to someone else, and luna and i already have a strong bond. im also worried that if he does, she will be ridden, and she will have health issues.

i also told him that i would like to do some local halter shows with her, that its benificial to get them out young. (you know, so that she learns to be calmer at shows, races, ect.) but his responce? he laughed. then told me that i ought to be riding her instead.

i dont know, should i purchase her and move her? (he bought her for only $100 at an auction, and he wouldn't charge me more than what he paid for her.)

im really starting to realise how hmmm...old fashioned? this guy is. i feel like he dosen't have much respect for my ways of training. granted, luna is my second horse i am breaking, but i am really learning alot from professionals, and alot from here aswell! i just dont feel like we agree on alot of things.

what should i do? should i buy her and leave? should i just ride her? please help, and thank you sooo much if you guys read all of this!

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing. If you want to buy this horse anyway and she's only $100.00 I think I should buy her and move her. This guy sounds pushy, and if she's going to be your horse anyway you should go at your pace and train her the way you want.
Now with that being said, I think you could ride her a couple of times a month at a walk, just to introduce her to you being on her back. You don't want to push her.

#3 ·
im hoping thats what i will be able to do, he has really been down my back about riding her, and any suggestion i make is wrong.

i am only 125lb, 5'4'', but its another 125lb she dosen't need right now. i want to give her time to be a horse, and im not planning on racing her till about 5. knowing him, if its a ride once a month, he will keep asking for more, and more. trail rides, longer rides, ect. i just dont want to take the risk. :|

hes just so thick-headed and old fashioned. im thinking about calling the vet and have him take a look at her, maybe he can back up my argument? (though i might sound rude. :\)

#6 ·
You know, there's a big difference between riding her and RIDING her. What if you start training her, start putting a saddle on her, and sitting on her from time to time? Your definitions of riding may differ.

Can you afford to board her elsewhere? Boarding for a year or more is going to be much more expensive than purchasing a different horse.

#7 ·
she already is alright with a saddle and bridle on her back, and his definition of riding is walking around in the round pen, and he has recently started to talk about wanting her on the trail.

of course board will be more expensive, but if i purchase another horse, chances are the cost of that one + board will be the same, and most likely more. a friend of mine is clearing her land for a few horses, and she would allow me to work in exchange for the space. all that needs to be paid is feed+hay, ect.

im sorry for the late reply! i was on an overnight ride this weekend, thank you all for imputs :)

#10 ·
I would buy the mare and move her if at all possible. I don't think sitting on her or short walks around the round pen or arena would do her harm, but your boss sounds like he would keep pressing for more active work. I do think asking for a vet check before mounting up would be more than reasonable, and a good idea for any young horse preparing for ridden work anyway. By any chance does your boss have a background in track racing or thoroughbred training? That might explain the desire to start her so early. I am a firm believer that if all racehorses were given even one year more to mature and grow some bone and strength, there would be far fewer Barbaros and Eight Bells'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.