The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   shoes and fences dont mix (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/shoes-fences-dont-mix-290833/)

Diegosmom 10-09-2013 09:17 AM

shoes and fences dont mix

I board at a place where the turn outs have a hard wire mesh and my horse has decided its fun to paw at the fence and take his shoes off. Two days ago he wasn't able to break loose and was stuck for who knows how long. They spent about 30 min up under him cutting him loose. Right now he is confined to his stall until we figure out what to do. Someone had suggested hot wire but we can seem to find a good turn out that is close to electricity.It would be a hazard to run a cord out to it the way the place is laid out. Any suggestions? Taking off shoes is not an option here. He gets infections as soon as they come off. I've tried.

Pambam 10-09-2013 09:20 AM

You could get a solar charger, that's what I have:)

deserthorsewoman 10-09-2013 11:11 AM

Hotwire you would have to put inside the existing fence to keep him from touching it. Putting hotwire instead of the existing fence would result in a very " wound up" horse should shoes touch it. But you knew that;-)
Solar charger would work, or a battery powered one.
Then there's the question WHY he's pawing at the fence. Eliminate the reason.

Speed Racer 10-09-2013 11:17 AM

Solar powered charger with one or two lines of hot wire added to the existing fence, and I can guarantee your horse will learn not to paw the fence.

It's not the type of fencing that's the problem, it's your horse.

Diegosmom 10-09-2013 12:11 PM

Yeah I know it's my horse. I am needing a quick fix for not until we get the behavior corrected.

Any thoughts as to the pawing it's self. He has always done it. He does it in his stall. When tied. When being washed. When we are stopped for more then 30 sec. I have has him in training off and in for the last 4 years and when I ask the trainers about it they say it's a tick. This tick is now starting to become a problem.

SEAmom 10-09-2013 12:55 PM

Could it be a space issue? How big is the turnout area outside and how many horses are in that space?
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 10-09-2013 01:10 PM

He seems impatient. Or doesn't want to be confined. Or both. What and how does he eat ( amount of hay, how often, turned out alone etc.)

PaintHorseMares 10-09-2013 02:16 PM

Is there grass growing at the bottom of the fence? I've seem many horses try and pull the bottom to try and get to some grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Diegosmom 10-09-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3826545)
He seems impatient. Or doesn't want to be confined. Or both. What and how does he eat ( amount of hay, how often, turned out alone etc.)

The turnouts are not very large.About a 1/4-1/2 acre. He is by himself until we can find the right partner.They tried a few when we first got there and there was an issue with the round bale. He was being a bully. He gets his round bale to graze on then his feed once in the morning and once at night.He came from a place that turned him out in 80 acres to this but that place was 2 hours from me .I searched long and hard for a place before deciding on this one and my horse has jumped leaps and bounds in weight, energy so forth since moving to this barn. I have been through hell with him because he is not an easy keeper and no one seems to care when they are under him care.This is why he was 2 hours from me I took him back to the place I bought him from to board to get him back to normal again and since moving to this place he has done even better in that area.Just having an issue with this now.Its never ending with him I swear

BlueSpark 10-09-2013 02:53 PM

hot wire would be the best, even a lower strand so his leg would contact it.

if you cant hot wire or change fencing, I assume he is getting the wire in between his shoe and his hoof? if that's the main issue, have your farrier glue them on, or put some tape along the hoof , wrapping it around the shoe.