The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   fox trotter breaking into trot (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/fox-trotter-breaking-into-trot-290913/)

trailsaregood 10-09-2013 01:15 PM

fox trotter breaking into trot

I need help- my fox trotter breaks into trot a bumpy one lately. I gaited smoothly on him before and do not know what to do . He also wants to lead all the time and if some horse is in front gaiting ahead, he gets upset. Any suggestions? thanks

ladyicon 10-11-2013 02:23 AM

Sounds like he is trying to catch up or pass the horse in front of him. Make him slow down till he gaits, then release the reins. Does he gait when you are in the lead?

trailhorserider 10-12-2013 12:47 AM

Yeah, he might be getting too fast. My Fox Trotter mare gets really bumpy (hard trot?) if I let her get too fast.

When I first got her I didn't realize I should be keeping her at a relatively slow trot to get her best gait. My girl gaits best at a speed just slightly faster than her fast, flat walk. As soon as she breaks out of a flat walk, that is where I try to keep her.

Chevaux 10-12-2013 01:30 AM

I notice my foxtrotter breaks into a trot if she is hurrying (as already mentioned) and if the ground starts to get uneven.

ALegUp 10-21-2013 02:28 PM

My MFT used to break gait when he was in 'racing brain'. What worked for him was sitting deep, slowing him down and mild contact. If there were no other horses to compete against, he would stay in gait on a loose rein as long as I wanted. Put another horse out ahead of him and he just wanted to win, though mine would pace more than hard trot.

cowgirl928 10-24-2013 12:51 PM

Try to do what ALegUp said- sit deeply, and make sure you have contact with her. Relax, concentrate on what you want to do. If this doesn't work, take her down to a walk, quiet her down, and slowly work up to a gait. When she acquiesces, reward her by releasing some of your pressure on her. If she tries to speed up again, start the process over. I had to do this with my MFT mare and now she only trots when not being ridden. It may take some work.
I would try to work on the issues separately. Start by trying to change your horses mindset of needing to be in front all the time. Then, work on the gait issue separately and away from a group.