The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Make sticks up after pulling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/make-sticks-up-after-pulling-290921/)

howrsegirl123 10-09-2013 12:20 PM

Make sticks up after pulling

Whenever I pull my horse's mane, right after I'm done it lays flat, but a day or two later it will start sticking up and stays that way until it grows out again and gets weighed down. Is there anything I can do to keep it lying flat?
Posted via Mobile Device

howrsegirl123 10-09-2013 12:42 PM

Typo in the title *mane
Posted via Mobile Device

Dehda01 10-09-2013 12:46 PM

Wet it down, and/or put some hair gel or something like lucky braids braiding spray to encourage it to stay down. I will often wet and put braids (not looped up show braids)in it for a few days o encourage it to stay down.

Zexious 10-09-2013 01:27 PM

You can also use a sleazy, or something similar.

gypsygirl 10-09-2013 03:12 PM

Maybe you could thin it less
Posted via Mobile Device

Cynical25 10-09-2013 03:45 PM

What you're experiencing is probably the new hairs growing in and pushing up the lighter/thinned out mane. Instead of doing one big pull session, it usually works better to pull a little here and there every few days all the time. The new hairs will grow back a little at a time all over the crest, so you won't deal with it pushing up the long hair in chunks. Plus your mane will look neat all the time ;)

For now, dampen the mane and put loose braids in it to get it on the correct side. In 2-3 days, take the braids out, dampen the mane to release the braid kinks, and rest a slightly damp towel over the combed mane while you groom. Gently pull the towel off by pulling down in the direction the mane is laying (mane on right, remove towel by pulling from crest towards floor on the right.) You're smoothing the hairs while you pull the towel down, so you don't want to pull out or up. If you do the damp towel trick regularly, the mane will get and stay trained.