The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Has anyone gotten a horse at auction? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/has-anyone-gotten-horse-auction-291065/)

Winterose 10-09-2013 03:19 PM

Has anyone gotten a horse at auction?

Hi guys,

When i get my own horse i was looking to get one at an auction to keep it from going to slaughter. I was wondering if any of you had done the auction thing and what your experience was as well as what auction you went to.

I was looking at the sugar creek auction in ohio...
My questions were:
How often do they have foals/yearlings
What all should i plan on bringing with me
How can i tell if a horse im looking at is lame or seriously injured? I know i have heard that the auction people hide that stuff well
If you have been to a diff auction please tell me which one and answer those questions as well. Thanks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

nuisance 10-09-2013 03:29 PM

I haven't bought a horse at an auction. But, I highly recommend taking someone who really knows horses with you!

gssw5 10-09-2013 04:07 PM

At the barn I worked at all through high school they got a lot of horses from the auctions, and it was hit or miss. We got some really good ones and some really bad ones. Several times the mares were in foal and it was not disclosed, so we ended up with surprise packages. The barn owner was knowledgeable so we never ended up with lame horses, just rank and untrained, but that is why he had a bunch of us fearless teenagers to ride them and teach them manners. Most of them ended up as lesson horses or were sold to private owners. The ones that just had screw loose ended up back at the auction.

If you decide to get a horse from an auction definitely take a knowledgeable person with you.

Samson5261 10-09-2013 04:10 PM

My grandparents use to buy horses at auctions all the time here. If the auctions up there are anything like they are here just prepare yourself for it. It can be really heart breaking to see. They bought sevral good horses from auction but sevral that where not so good. Just make sure you take someone with you for a second opion and don't always take the owners at what they say many shady people sell at auctions. I'm not saying all owners are some really care but you just want to be careful!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Roux 10-09-2013 04:20 PM

I haven't done it although I was going to this summer but I found my gelding before the auction so didn't go. I know a lot of people who have done it with varying levels of success.

My advise is go early. Really early and see if you can observe the horses getting out of the trailer how they are handled etc. See how they interact with the people handling them. If they have room to run observe them to make sure there is no lameness, if they have enough space and it is safe try to get them to trot to evaluate their gaits. Ask a TON of questions don't be shy. Pick out a few horses you like and watch them all day as much as you can. if you can tell who their owners are go talk to them. Don't get hooked on one horse and keep your options open. If you are good at reading body language of horses you can probably find a really good animal! Lastly, bring a trailer with you so if you do buy you can load right there and if the horse is difficult to load there will be lots of people willing to help.

I don't know about Ohio but here a lot of really good well trained ranch horses end up at auctions because that is just how their owners have all ways sold horses, so there is definitely good, safe, sound horses if you know what to look for. Although, there is plenty of horror stories also.

Winterose 10-09-2013 04:30 PM

What auctions r u guys referring to? As the ohio one is kinda far, about a 10hr drive since im in ct
Posted via Mobile Device

Roux 10-09-2013 04:34 PM

I'm in New Mexico so ours would be even further for you!

Personally I would be a bit nervous trailering a horse I bought at auction for 10 hours to get home just because I wouldn't know how they trailer and they will already be stressed from the auction but I don't know too much about that. It may be ok.

boots 10-09-2013 05:18 PM

I don't remember all the horses, or even how many, I've bought at auction. I've gone to auctions in Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

I've had great luck. Rarely got a horse that didn't work out for something. I can't think of one that didn't.

But, it's my business to pick well. I second taking someone you trust to an auction with you.

jaydee 10-09-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winterose (Post 3828409)
What auctions r u guys referring to? As the ohio one is kinda far, about a 10hr drive since im in ct
Posted via Mobile Device

Heritage Farm in Mass. are well respected but they only run a few auctions a year and not what you'd really call 'rescue horses' as a lot are their own lesson horses when they cut down at the end of the season - but you can get some good bargains and they will let you go and try the horses on set days before the sales
Heritage Farm | Easthampton, Massachusetts | Since 1972
Crowleys Horses have a Bargain section where you can pick up a cheap horse and be able to try it and have it vetted. They have some horses in for under $1500 and probably a better bet than going to a sale especially with winter coming on these people are looking to reduce their numbers so will be open to offers
CROWLEYSHORSES Home Page
Then there is the Camelot NJ rescue site but that is very much buyer beware, you have no clue what these horses have done, been through, if they're sound etc. Its a huge risk and you could end up spending your money on something useless and have the heartbreak of putting it back in an auction to cut your losses.
Camelot auction, NJ Feedlot Horse Rescue Home

Winterose 10-09-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 3828897)
Heritage Farm in Mass. are well respected but they only run a few auctions a year and not what you'd really call 'rescue horses' as a lot are their own lesson horses when they cut down at the end of the season - but you can get some good bargains and they will let you go and try the horses on set days before the sales
Heritage Farm | Easthampton, Massachusetts | Since 1972
Crowleys Horses have a Bargain section where you can pick up a cheap horse and be able to try it and have it vetted. They have some horses in for under $1500 and probably a better bet than going to a sale especially with winter coming on these people are looking to reduce their numbers so will be open to offers
CROWLEYSHORSES Home Page
Then there is the Camelot NJ rescue site but that is very much buyer beware, you have no clue what these horses have done, been through, if they're sound etc. Its a huge risk and you could end up spending your money on something useless and have the heartbreak of putting it back in an auction to cut your losses.
Camelot auction, NJ Feedlot Horse Rescue Home

thank you for these links! I will deff use the top two, I am quite honestly thinking they may be the best option cause well lets face it any horse that makes it into auction could end up in trouble. and im not looking to get myself into trouble so they should work. thanks!