The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Oldenburg Stallion Inspections NA (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/oldenburg-stallion-inspections-na-291105/)

AndersonEquestrian 10-09-2013 04:55 PM

Oldenburg Stallion Inspections NA

1 Attachment(s)
So I have a yearling colt who I plan to keep in tact and inspect as a 4yr old with the Oldenburg registry.
I am not a really talented rider and I do not plan on riding him during inspections. I already know who I want to ride him for inspections. However, I have never done stallion inspections before and they require much more than mare & foal inspections do. I can do the mare and foal inspections on my own. I am not sure what my training time line should look like with Marco. I have already introduced saddling, free jumping (just a little bit), and he has been shown a little bit.

So with all that being said, are there any of you out there who have done inspections before that can help me out? What do you feel are necessary skills for the stallion to know? What are your thoughts on breeding before inspections?
I realize I am asking this very early but I don't want to be figuring out what to do with him at the last minute.

Thanks in advance!

~*~anebel~*~ 10-09-2013 05:21 PM

|| Oldenburg Registry N.A. and International Sporthorse Registry ||

Some info on testing from Oldenburg NA.

Basically you want the stallion to go quietly undersaddle and have him exposed to some jumping, hacking and if you have access to an x-country course it might be helpful to expose him to some more solid fences as well. He also needs to be prepared to show in hand and it helps to prepare their free jumping. As he gets older, of course expectations are increased. But you basically just want to show up with a well rounded, well broke horse with a good start done by a good trainer. IMO if you admit you aren't the best rider I would say to put him into training with someone that can give him a great start and introduce him to things, while still being able to deal with any stallion outbursts. If you put a start on him, aren't confident enough to expose him to different things and cant immediately stamp out his stallion antics, then you could put Edward Gal on him at the inspection and he still would not show well. Especially from the test riders. He really needs an excellent start.

I think it will be helpful for you to find a mentor within the breeding community to help you with stallion management, promotion and training.

Good luck!

ETA as well regarding turnout, it is more traditional to have a braided mane and a full leather halter on the babies, and a bridle on the undersaddle horses to show in hand.

AndersonEquestrian 10-09-2013 05:29 PM

Thank you! I have started a few horses and they are all showing and competing now but beyond the first few rides and trail riding I am not exactly the best. I have no plans on showing him except for in hand and plan on hiring someone for all the riding shows. If for some reason I don't think ican start him I will put him in training with someone.
I am starting to work with someone local who has done several stallion inspections who I hope I can get to handle him when the time comes.
Posted via Mobile Device

AndersonEquestrian 10-09-2013 05:32 PM

And thank you for the links. I have read through all of that I was looking for more personal advice, personal tips & tricks, preference in how you do things. =]

~*~anebel~*~ 10-09-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndersonEquestrian (Post 3828433)
And thank you for the links. I have read through all of that I was looking for more personal advice, personal tips & tricks, preference in how you do things. =]

It might be helpful for you to do a trip to Europe for an inspection or sale over there. Just to get a feel for the tradition of the events. Unfortunately the Elite Auction was last weekend - that is quite exciting! I know the Hanoverian Verband has a sale in January and it looks like Oldenburger has one in December..

http://oldenburghorse.net/oh/news/ne...ikelliste.html

You might also want to look into the Oldenburg Horse Breeder Society - as they are aligned with the Verband they are more stringent about selections, but they do have some events coming up in NA that if you attended might glean you some information.

I don't know really what to say about personal tips and tricks except for that the basic training of the horse will always shine through and a good rider every day of the week is always worth the cost in the development of a young horse, especially one hoping to be accepted into a stud book and marketed. Owning a stallion is not cheap or easy or an endeavor to be taken on lightly.