The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   How to recover from Torn Ligaments in the knee? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/how-recover-torn-ligaments-knee-291137/)

NeryLibra 10-09-2013 04:46 PM

How to recover from Torn Ligaments in the knee?

Hey guys,

So long story short, a fat horse and a stirrup free two-point did my knees in. In early 2011, I was out at the barn and mid-lesson when we were asked to drop our stirrups and post the trot. The instructor was asking each student individually for a two-point trot without stirrups and when she got to me, there weren't any problems. At first. The first half-lap of the arena went really well, but on one of the corners I felt this weird ripping feeling in my knees and then intense pain. I ended up breaking the trot and sobbing my eyes out because it hurt that much. My instructor pulled me off the horse, let me limp/sit in the grooming area and recover a little before she helped me and my mother get our stuff to the car. After a hot bath and some icing of the knees, things got a little better. I continued walking fine, and I could jog some, but the event when I was riding kept me out of the saddle for the better part of three months. During that time I was taken to the doctor, he proceeded to feel my knees up and told me that I had torn 7 ligaments in each knee. He gave me some exercises, which I kept up with for a long time, and told me that if I rode it was to be light work and no two-points. So we followed his orders. The exercises didn't help pull my knee-caps back to where they belonged, and after a short while I ended up quitting riding all together. I still haven't ridden to this day.

Does anyone know how to recover from the torn ligaments? I've tried the resistance band exercises, swimming, and squats. None have helped and often make my knees feel worse.

Pambam 10-09-2013 05:03 PM

Oh I'm sorry:-(

I tore ligaments in my leg years ago, took longer to heal than a break, not what you want to hear, I was in my twenties and it took a little over a year.

I was told rest was the best healer, I could still ride, just had to be careful but I'd say squats are a bad idea for you, maybe you should start a joint supplement, wouldn't hurt.

PaintHorseMares 10-09-2013 05:16 PM

Go see a physical therapist specializing in sports injuries. They're business is getting athletes going again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 10-09-2013 05:43 PM

You need an MRI done to let you know which ligaments you tore. I tore my knee up from falling off a horse. Along with multiple ligaments running down the sides of my knee, I ripped my ACL in half. The ACL, meniscus, and the MCL, I believe, do not heal on their own. They require surgery and a cadaver tendon is used or a tendon pulled from your own thigh/calf. I tore mine in October, haven't gotten the surgery yet, and haven't ridden since. My knee still randomly pops out of socket. Mine will NOT get better, no matter how much exercise, until I have reconstructive surgery.

What has your doctor said as far as exercising?
Posted via Mobile Device

Incitatus32 10-09-2013 05:58 PM

I'd go see a sports P.T. they can have the best insight on how to rehabilitate your knee so you can ride. Also I second the MRI; my doctors thought I had torn my ligaments/tendons to shreds and delayed surgery (putting me on some light excersizes), when they ran me through the MRI two weeks later they found out I had a chunk of bone/tissue that was flung into my thigh muscle without blood supply. Jury's still out on if it's actually alive. Rest and relaxation as well as a joint supplement could really help, unfortunately it will take some time. My knee doctor said that the knee and spine are the hardest areas to heal because they bear a lot of weight constantly, so it takes longer. Hope you heal soon!

waresbear 10-09-2013 06:35 PM

Technically torn ligaments in the knee, ACL, do not heal themselves, scar tissue forms and sort of binds them together, but any stress will undo a flimsy bind. It's my orthopedic surgeon that informed me of that, I went 7 years with the scar tissue and then something minor re-tore it, then anytime I stressed it, I would get swelling & fluid on it. An ACL replacement solved all that, wished I had it done when I first injured it (dirt bike accident). After 5 months of healing up post surgery, I went back into full on drop dead workouts & kickboxing, knee is stronger than ever. As for the initial injury (major owies, I was crutches for a week), it was about a month or more before I could ride or doing anything remotely strenuous on my feet.

NeryLibra 10-10-2013 03:08 PM

Hey guys,

First of all thank you all for your advice and input. While I'd love to go back into the doctor's or to a PT, it all comes down to money and what I can't afford currently. That's why I was posting here in hopes that someone had advice or exercises I could do.

I will start looking into a joint supplement, does anyone have any starting point suggestions for me to look first?

Kayella, my doctor had pretty much told me to stick with low-impact exercising such as swimming and easy knee stretches/work outs, such as using a resistance band to press my weight into and build the muscle around my knee caps. I did so diligently for six/eight months and saw no improvement. Hence why I haven't even touched a saddle in two years.

livelovelaughride 10-11-2013 11:30 AM

For what its worth- there is some anecdotal indication of how using lemongrass essential oil can help to heal tendon tears in the knee. Just something to research.
And I second other imaging - mri and whatever else. And PT.

elleng0728 10-11-2013 12:36 PM

Look into Hyarulonic acid for your joints

4horses 10-11-2013 05:06 PM

You say you can't afford it... You need to start saving now. Sell off any books or old stuff in your house. Get the money together.

You need an MRI to evaluate the damage, followed by physical therapy or surgery.

You do not want to be limping for the next 20 years due to not getting this fixed!

Over the counter supplements are not going to make those ligaments heal up. There is limited evidence showing they are helpful with arthritis, little to no evidence suggesting they help tendon/ligament injuries.

If it has been over 2 years you are not going to get better on your own. Sorry but that is past the time frame for healing. The damage is permanent by this point and this is when you consider surgery. I'm angry that you did not get an MRI when this started. They are expensive but necessary.