The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   breaking in new leather? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/breaking-new-leather-291305/)

Lexiie 10-09-2013 09:22 PM

breaking in new leather?

I know most of the answers, but I thought I would ask for tips.
I just got my new bridle, but because it's so stiff, it sits awkardly on my mare's face.
I know that just using it will break it in, and I could always put leather conditioner on it, but sadly I have none. I have lexol, but that seems to dry my leather out. Maybe when I get some leather CPR...
Any tips? It's a padded dressage bridle, so the crown piece, brow band, and nose band are pretty thick..
I did sit and play with it for a little while, bending it gently the way it would sit on my mare's face.
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 10-09-2013 10:12 PM

Murphy's Oil Soap, about 1/4 cup in a gallon of water. Let it soak for about 5-10 minutes and wipe it clean to dry.

Lexiie 10-09-2013 10:19 PM

My BO used that on a really old bridle, and it definitely stayed oily after that.
Any tips for removing the oil better?
Also, my padding is removable, it's attached with Velcro, what about the oil getting all up in that and making it gunky?
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 10-09-2013 10:27 PM

I just rubbed it with a soft cloth, but my bridle is a western one! Not sure about the Velco. Leather CPR is pretty good, too. It's a conditioner and cleaner in one.

Lexiie 10-09-2013 10:37 PM

Maybe I'll stop at the tack store tomorrow after school. It seems like the leather has a coating on it, almost like a thin wax? I wonder if the CPR will go through it?
Posted via Mobile Device

boots 10-09-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 3831065)
Maybe I'll stop at the tack store tomorrow after school. It seems like the leather has a coating on it, almost like a thin wax? I wonder if the CPR will go through it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Clean it well with a saddle soap or Murphy's Oil soap first.

Lexiie 10-09-2013 10:42 PM

Got it, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device