The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   A Nervous Nancy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/nervous-nancy-29164/)

jazzman21 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

A Nervous Nancy

Can anyone recommend something good for a nervous horse? I have a gelding that gets a little antsy and will work himself into a sweat in no time at all. I wanted to see what other people were using. I'm going to try Raspberry tea leaves and just wanted to get some feedback from others...

Thanks!

Solon 06-07-2009 09:46 PM

Does he act that way all the time or only at certain times? What does he do? Does he act out or just get himself worked up into a sweat?

jazzman21 06-07-2009 09:52 PM

It depends... he will get that way during trailering, even though he doesn't think twice about getting on. He will get that way sometimes with other horses in the arena while working, or by himself. He used to be a trail horse, but I took him on a trail ride a month ago and he was completely covered within 15 minutes of beginning.

Fire Eyes 06-07-2009 10:12 PM

My mare gets like that a lot, especially when other horses/people are in the arena. It's quite annoying but we've tried everything. We found that getting her a massage every 6-8 weeks would make her calmer and happier, but it can be quite costly. -sigh-

Good luck.

Solon 06-07-2009 10:16 PM

Trailering is understandable. My horse did the same thing. And some horses get nervy when around other horses. My horse cannot be around another horse that is getting disciplined. No idea why but he gets all worked up.

Is it bad enough to really give him something for or is it something he can just work through? The trailering part might be good to give him something to keep him calm if he's really stressed about it. But with the other horses, can he just work through it?

I do that with my boy. I just walk him around until he settles himself down (or I will make him do some bending exercises to occupy his mind on something else) then we continue on.