The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Turning while loping/cantering (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/turning-while-loping-cantering-291657/)

SarahandDallas 10-10-2013 12:01 PM

Turning while loping/cantering

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've posted anything! Anyways,I need some help. Last Saturday,I brought my 3 horses home. Yesterday I rode my 11y/o gelding in the big field that isn't quite ready for the horses to go in (don't worry they're in the smaller field now). We loped,almost galloped down the fence row,but when it came to turning he slowed down to a trot,and it was a fairly wide turn. He's never liked going faster than a slow trot in a round pen,should I be worried,or does he just need a bit more training? Thanks guys!

SorrelHorse 10-10-2013 12:40 PM

It's worth a shot having him chiropracted or looked at. What happens if you really drive hard into that turn, as in, keep using your legs and seat (Or even a crop) to keep him going? I've had some colts who don't like loping up in a circle and break to the trot. It's just because they aren't confident enough and are unbalanced. Of course though, if he's sore some place, that would explain it too.

SarahandDallas 10-10-2013 12:44 PM

Ok,thanks! He also needs trimmed,and he has one shoe still on,I think I'm gonna keep him barefoot for the winter. The farrier might can come tomorrow or early next week. Do you think that will help?

Zexious 10-10-2013 02:00 PM

A trim will probably help, though most horses can hack in relative comfort without perfect feet.

SorrelHorse 10-11-2013 04:20 PM

Agreed there.

I'd give it a go, and see what happens.

SarahandDallas 10-17-2013 11:59 AM

I pulled the shoe off last weekend and the farrier said he'd be come this Saturday

jaydee 10-17-2013 12:04 PM

It sounds as if he lost impulsion when you asked him to slow for the turn - that is more of a collection issue.
You might be asking for 'slow' down with your hands but your legs still have to ask the horse to move forwards into the bridle so it will shorten its stride to maintain balance but not drop out of canter because it loses 'energy' in its quarters