The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What to expect? First vet visit. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-expect-first-vet-visit-29170/)

AnnieBanannie 06-07-2009 11:10 PM

What to expect? First vet visit.

Hey guys. So my friend's grandpa bought three horses a little prematurely. He doesn't know that much about them, and I've gone down once to ride them (thursday). They really need to be worked and probably retrained because they were so stubborn. He only has one brush for the three horses and doesn't even really keep water in the stalls. Besides all that, I went down on thursday and rode two of them. The third he says "is a buggy horse" so they don't ride it; only let it pull the buggy. That horse's name is Annie also. He calls me friday telling me that i "missed it by a day"... uh what are you talking about? Annie had a baby!! What?!?

So now, he has a colt along with the three horses. No one knew she was pregnant and has no idea how she got pregnant. They're thinking of naming him Immaculate Conception. I told him he needs to call the vet to get the mom and baby checked out and I'm hoping the vet should let him know all that he needs to do. I was wondering though what I should expect from the visit. It's tomorrow, so I know this is last minute, but anything I should ask or be sure to look for would be great. Thanks!

RusticWildFire 06-07-2009 11:38 PM

Hmm I would make sure all the horses are up on their shots and have their teeth looked at and whatnot. A regular physical of some sort.

smrobs 06-08-2009 12:21 AM

Yep, I would have the vet check them over fully as if it was a pre-purchase exam. There are lots of things that could suddenly pop up if you are not expecting them. Does he just not know much about these horses or horses in general? Does he have a farrier picked out? Does he have feed arangements?

AnnieBanannie 06-08-2009 10:11 AM

He doesn't know much about horses in general. I think it was kinda whim to buy them. He's had the farrier out there and everything. (He's had the horses for almost a year now) And I'm pretty sure he just doesn't grain them, but idk. Hopefully after today I'll know a lot more about all of this situation. Thanks guy!

RusticWildFire 06-08-2009 10:50 PM

Let us know how it went! I hope it went well :)

Joshie 06-08-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieBanannie (Post 323235)
He doesn't know much about horses in general. I think it was kinda whim to buy them. He's had the farrier out there and everything. (He's had the horses for almost a year now) And I'm pretty sure he just doesn't grain them, but idk. Hopefully after today I'll know a lot more about all of this situation. Thanks guy!

Has he had these horses for more than 11 months? How many times has he had the farrier out? The vet? Has he wormed these horses? Does he keep the horses stalled? If he's had them longer than 11 months and one ended up with a foal, I'd be pretty scared there may be two more babies about to arrive. Heck, I might be scared that'll happen anyway.

Sounds like these horses need regular vet care.

Jillyann 06-08-2009 11:08 PM

to me it doesnt really sound like this guy knows what hes doing.......?

KTSpeedhorse 06-08-2009 11:21 PM

Question for you>>>> how old are you? Do you know for a fact that they havent been grained? Do they need grain now besides the mare with the foal? The water statment scares me though. I just wonder how much this is coming from someone who is not there every single day every minute. Are they in bad health? Skinny...etc??? If you are exprienced? If so lend some advice to the guy. Sounds like he has been trying to get things taken care of with having the ferrier out an all. Not everyone who takes on horses knows what the heck they are doing the first time around thats why nice people can be so helpful. Be that helpful person : )