The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Beginner WP (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/beginner-wp-291929/)

eleora9001 10-10-2013 05:45 PM

Beginner WP

So I'm in FFA, and I also show, and I've gamed for a while, but I want to be an all around trainer when I get older.. Can anyone help me with the beginner stuff of WP? Also what I should be looking for when I go to my judging competitions? Any tips, tricks, advice, everything is appreciated!:-)

oh vair oh 10-10-2013 06:40 PM

Rating speed on a draped rein - your horse should go fast, medium, and slow on a comfortably draped rein, when you ask him to.

Cadence - the horse should have good rhythm and keep a constant "beat", no speeding up/slowing down all the time.

Body isolation - the horse should be able to isolate the hip, ribcage, and shoulder by using your leg.

Beginning collection - the horse should move into the bridle with good impulsion, driving from the hindquarters. Then you encourage the horse to lift the shoulder, lifting the topline, and promoting good collection with a slow leg.

Remember, a good western pleasure horse is not a "lazy" horse, they are using a lot of their body with a slowed cadence - not short, choppy "quick" legs. :)

waresbear 10-10-2013 06:47 PM

^^^^All that and YOU have to be steady and look like you are having a pleasurable ride.

spurstop 10-13-2013 04:46 PM

If you want to be a trainer, you need to start riding with one now. You can't learn to train a horse over the internet.

Palomine 10-17-2013 09:50 PM

What do you want to do when you say "all around trainer"???

Is your interest in WP only?

Or do you like performance horses better?

The two are mutually exclusive, so figuring out which way you are leaning would help.

Find a trainer to work under, and college for equine studies.

bit of zip 10-29-2013 05:43 PM

Keep in mind that western pleasure in the QH/stock horse world is slightly different than western pleasure with arabs and gaited breeds (morgans, etc) while their way of going is similar, the head set and carriage, including rein lenghth is different. So, if youa re looking for info on JUDGING (which is what your post sounded like) you need to be familiar with other breeds too. Gaited horses and others with a naturally higher head carriage go in a rommel rein versus a split rein and on a shorter rein with more contact. while You Tube can be your friend, you should also go to some horse shows and watch, watch, watch different classes. Watch the pinnings and talk to as many people in the industry as possible.