The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Need opinions - purebred, or no? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/need-opinions-purebred-no-2922/)

breezie 08-13-2007 03:54 PM

Need opinions - purebred, or no?

I have a QH mare I'm looking to breed soon.
Should I find another QH stallion?
If so, the foal will most likely be used for racing.
However, I can get an entirely free breeding
to an Egyptian/Polish Arabian stallion...
Quarabs are a desirable mix to me.

Just need opinions on the pros/cons of both.

sweetypie16 08-16-2007 12:42 AM

I like pure QH (and you get more money for them) but crosses are always good to. What does your horse look like, if you don't have a picture can you explain her to me? Stuff like build, colour, breeding ect. If she has really good breeding with QH you don't want to stuff it up by crossing it with a Arab. But if you don't know (not to say she isn't important) than you can cross her with anything you like!

Frog 08-16-2007 01:23 AM

it's all personal choice really. If you plan on keeping the offspring, then do whatever you like, but if you plan on selling then like sweetie said, pure is usually best.

Miss Neigh 08-25-2007 02:18 AM

Quarab's are a great mix, very versatile and usually the "baby doll" arab head is passed on.
If you really want the foal for racing then pursue to breed with another pure qh.

sweetypie16 08-29-2007 10:44 PM

Yes Quarbs are very nice! You get the flair of the Arab and the look of the nice versitile QH

PoptartShop 08-29-2007 11:55 PM

It's really up to personal preference.
I think purebreds are best, though ;)

sweetypie16 08-30-2007 12:43 AM

Yep, either way i am sure you will have a beautiful foal Breezie

TxHorseMom 09-02-2007 03:20 AM

If it is to keep, I agree with the others do as you like. If it would be for sale, then I would do some research as to what is popular and sells in your area. In some areas Arabians and their crosses are very popular, in other areas not so much and QH are more popular. I would go with whatever sells best then.

We bred my purebred polish arabian (racing bred) to our racing bred (dash for cash, go man go, jetdeck bred) black/white paint stallion. We got the most awesome tricolor colt ever!! He technically is up for sale, but I would really like to keep him for myself. So I am not trying too hard to sell him!!! 8)

sweetypie16 09-04-2007 10:48 PM

Really : refering to Txhorsemom
I am abit like that, i get so attached to foals and youngsters and when its time to sell them i get so sad :cry: But lets face it, thats how we make a living!! :o

kitten_Val 09-06-2007 01:14 PM

I'v seen horses being the worst combo of arab and qh (like huge qh head on thin arab legs). :( Some are very cute though. I'd go for pure one (and better to find a stud with nice disposition too :) ).