The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   OK a little paranoyed(sp) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ok-little-paranoyed-sp-29221/)

Dartanion 06-08-2009 07:27 PM

OK a little paranoyed(sp)

So while D was getting new shoes this morning I noticed that his eye was ozing a little nothing off color but his eye was a little swollen. So I ran some cold water over it and the swelling went down, and I opened his eye and took a look around in there and found nothing but some eye boggies. My vet wont be in till Wensday so I am stuck waiting to give her a call. I put his fly mask back on and just left him for the rest of day till I can call the vet. Do you think I am being an over worried mommy? because all he had was boggies and a clear 'leak' almost like he was crying or something. He would open his eye and blink but it was a little swollen and then he seemed to hold it closed? but other than that acted normally.

Solon 06-08-2009 07:39 PM

Allergies are really bad for horses this year (around here at least). Lots of watering eyes. Plus the stuff that flies around in the air can get into the eyelids and make it swell and water. And a lot of our horses like to stick their heads into the blackberry bushes and get poked by the stems/thorns which also can make eyes water/swell.

Hope it's nothing serious. The fly mask is a good idea until you can figure out what it is.

zurmdahl 06-08-2009 07:44 PM

Leaving on his fly mask is a good idea, does it have ears?
It's probably allergies like Solon said but it could also be a scratch. Having the vet out is probably a good idea, just in case.

Dartanion 06-08-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 323622)
Allergies are really bad for horses this year (around here at least). Lots of watering eyes. Plus the stuff that flies around in the air can get into the eyelids and make it swell and water..

Yeah, I was hoping that flushing his eyes with the water helped get whatever was bothering him out. Thank you for your good wishes. I am half tempted to walk out there and give him another look over to make sure he is ok...

Dartanion 06-08-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zurmdahl (Post 323627)
Leaving on his fly mask is a good idea, does it have ears?

No it had one that had nose and ear covers but he was not a huge fan of the nose and would rub the mask off. Don't ask how but he is talneted. I have two fly masks from when we had three horses running around here but all of them are earless. I put fly spray on him but as we all know that stuff doesn't work more than 3 minutes.

Solon 06-08-2009 08:06 PM

Definitely keep an eye on it (no pun intended!) and if you are still seeing swelling and watering tomorrow (Tuesday) make an appointment for the Vet. I'd flush it out a couple more times. The cool water does good.

Dartanion 06-08-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 323644)
Definitely keep an eye on it (no pun intended!) and if you are still seeing swelling and watering tomorrow (Tuesday) make an appointment for the Vet. I'd flush it out a couple more times. The cool water does good.

thnx I am going to check on it in a minute or two. I am hoping that it is back to normal when I check it. It didn't appear to be red while I was looking around in there so I am also hoping just having my figures near his eye made him keep it closed. I will also get pics if I can.

Dartanion 06-08-2009 10:29 PM

UP-date: He only opens his eye if someone walks to him on the swollen side and if I turn him to the left (the eye that is hurting) I ran water over it and the swelling did not go down and he keeps trying to rub it. I am calling around to vets right now. Still only clear tearing.

melinda27858 06-08-2009 10:58 PM

Just a thought...

Last summer Fella got an mild infection in one of his eyes because of his fly mask. Vet said I needed to remove it and clean it with a mild bleach solution every once in a while to kill bacteria that would grow and flourish on it (especially during rainier weeks). I cleaned his mask and next day he was back to normal. He wears his 24/7.

Solon 06-08-2009 11:14 PM

Yep get someone out now. It sounds more serious than just an allergy issue. Keep us update okay?

Sending good thoughts your way!