The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What is the problem here?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-problem-here-29226/)

racer179 06-08-2009 07:36 PM

What is the problem here??

Alright, so just recently i brought one of my mares home from my pasture half a mile down the road, to the one behind my house, which is an acre big (the other one is six acres). The grass in the bigger pasture needed to be left alone so that it could grow and the one behind my house was full of grass. So i brought her home last wednesday, and ever since i brought her, she wont drink or really eat, and shes nervous and pacing around the pasture ALL the time. Ive had her here the last two previous years and shes been absolutely fine. So i thought i would take her out and tether her out behind my shelterbelt and she absolutely loved it. She wasnt nervous, she was eating and i brought her water and she drank it and everything. I also noticed that her manure was very "small" for her size, because normally it is larger than what it was. (sounds gross i know, but u gotta check these things!) So im wondering if she is just not used to the smaller space and that is why she always pacing around and wont drink, or is she stressed out also from being away from wide open spaces? i know horses dont like to be enclosed to much, but when i take her out and tether her, she is perfectly fine and really enjoys herself. What is the problem here? :???:

racer179 06-08-2009 07:41 PM

the picture i have on my "stat" thing is the mare i am talking about, just thought id throw that our there :P

close2prfct 06-08-2009 07:43 PM

Possibly she misses her buddies, try bringing another mare down to see if that resolves the problem. 2 of my mares seem to almost hate each other in the pasture but take one out and they pace, snort, stomp, won't eat/drink and cry out till they are reunited.

racer179 06-08-2009 07:50 PM

i figured that that was the problem. and ya thats same with my horses. right when i would go riding the other two would freak out, but when they were together in the pasture, they never really thought much of oneanother. but why she okay when i take her out of the pasture and tether her? she enjoys herself so much more.