The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   water logged????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/water-logged-29255/)

Shadow157 06-09-2009 08:22 AM

water logged?????

shadow has been found out in the pasture with water logged hoofs at least 4 times already this summer.... the other morning he was a bit soggy just from the morning dew, it hadnt even rained that night! I know this isnt completly abnormal, but is it normal to happen so often??? hes in a relatively dry pasture but is very luch and grassy, and he stays out 24/7 (except when this happens, then he goes into his stall for a 1/2 a day or longer depending) is there something i can do to make him more water resistant and is it doing any long term damage with it happening so much???

Nutty Saddler 06-09-2009 08:35 AM

What exactly do you mean by waterlogged hooves .

Shadow157 06-09-2009 09:59 AM

on all 4 hooves right at and under the coronary band becomes white (he has white hooves) and slightly swollen and spungy feeling, soft and the worse ive found it the white band is about 1/2 wide. doesnt seem lame, sore or anything really bothering him.

walkinthewalk 06-09-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

on all 4 hooves right at and under the coronary band becomes white (he has white hooves) and slightly swollen and spungy feeling, soft and the worse ive found it the white band is about 1/2 wide. doesnt seem lame, sore or anything really bothering him.
That is nothing to worry about. I liken it to the cuticles around my fingernails and if you keep your hands in water long enough, they will get mushy and appear swollen even though they are not.

It will shed off on its own. Different horses shed that skin at different rates and it also depends on the climate/environment the horse lives in.

My three Walkers had "cuticles" that were much wider than 1/2 inch. The Arab's were hardly noticeable. They all eat the same and they are all on the same pasture:-)

Also out of 16 hooves on my farm, only three of them are white, hoof color doesn't play a role in this instance:-)

That being said, ask your farrier about it on his next visit:-)

Shadow157 06-09-2009 11:32 AM

great thanks a bunch :0)