The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   my weanling scare of tarps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-weanling-scare-tarps-292793/)

AiBlCh 10-12-2013 12:04 AM

my weanling scare of tarps

I introduced him to different odd things. ATVs, garbage bags, white plastic bags, flashlights, whips, saddle pad, car, truck, trailer, tractors, grass mower, dogs, cats, chickens, poles, barrels, and etc.

They didn't bother him but TARPS! He freaked out when he sees that thing laying on the floor.

How can I teach him that it is not scary as he thinks it is?

Freemare 10-12-2013 12:33 AM

First fold it up so it smaller and not so scary. Then have him come over and take a look. Once he is ok with that. Make it bigger. Repeat. Soon you should be able to get him to come up with it blowing in the wind.

sorral3 10-13-2013 06:04 PM

I do a similar method, but then I will also tie the tarp to the fence and place their feed under it.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 10-14-2013 11:52 PM

My horse is not scared of much. Since I've had her she's spooked at 2 things. A barking dog that jumped out of nowhere and a tarp, firmly secured to a fence. GO FIGURE. I haven't gotten to tarp training yet (too busy with vets and healing her yadda yadda). But my old trainer had a yearling (maybe less, I can't remember) and she introduced her to the tarp by turning her loose in an arena with the tarp down. At first she was scared. Slowly she figured out it wasn't so bad. After a while, she had it in her mouth, dragging it around the arena like it was the best toy ever. I'm a fan of letting the horse figure things out themselves when possible.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-15-2013 12:16 AM

I like all of the above and I do one more thing. After they have gotten used to it on the ground, tied and flapping on something, then I put it on the ground again and work on getting them to walk over it. Once they've done all that.....it's a non-issue.