The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Safety vest or not? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/safety-vest-not-293225/)

Kavala 10-12-2013 06:32 PM

Safety vest or not?

I have an Arab mare who is pretty much guaranteed to buck at some point while cantering. I know that she does it just to get her energy out because she is a very energetic horse, but a sometimes I fall off. So far nothing major has happened, just some bad bruises and limping, but when I ask for the canter I also have to be ready for that buck. Usually it's a nice small playful one that I barely feel, but other times if I don't ride her for over 4 days its a big one, still playful, but a big one.
Should I get a safety vest? I don't do any serious riding, I am training her to jump but not huge jumps. Shes just an endurance horse. But my parents are worried everytime they come watch, they aren't horse people and they think that im going to die. They even suggested getting rid of her!
Now im not scared of bucking, and i reprimand her when its a big one (and i dont fall off lol) and i am not getting rid of her! She is a good match for me, im just as stubborn as she is and i LOVE her energy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Safety vest or no?

EquineGirl1965 11-01-2013 09:43 AM

Yes. If your horse is prone to bucking to the point where you are thrown, I would wear a vest along with your helmet. I have a vest, I generally only use it when on a newly acquired horse...but I'm considering the wisdom of that. My Quarab mare is mostly great under saddle but she shies and she will buck or pig-root from time to time. I have never come off her...but there's always a first time.

DancingArabian 11-01-2013 10:25 AM

Yes.

She should be reprimanded for ALL bucks. That's something that you should be taking more seriously.
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 11-01-2013 11:22 AM

If you have to ask, then the answer is yes to the vest.

And the bucking should be dealt with. Not acceptable, no matter how small.

Dustbunny 11-03-2013 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Kavala;3852497] I don't do any serious riding, I am training her to jump but not huge jumps. Shes just an endurance horse.

"Just" an endurance horse? That's fairly serious, at least I thought it was when I did that years ago. I'd suggest getting the vest.
Finding out the cause of that buck would be a good idea. Do you have someone who can watch you when you go into a canter to see if maybe you are doing something to cause the buck. An experienced pair of eyes can be helpful.

alyssajacques 11-13-2013 08:57 PM

Yes, You should be wearing a vest if she is bucking, and when you are jumping of course! Even if they are small jumps, things can always go wrong per say, and you want to be safe just in case.

Zexious 11-13-2013 09:28 PM

I own a vest, because it sounded like a good idea... But have never once used it xD

WSArabians 11-13-2013 09:47 PM

Safety vest, yes. Good idea.
A trainer would be a good one too...