The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Im new, wanted to say "hi"--question about Navicular (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/im-new-wanted-say-hi-question-29336/)

eventerwannabe 06-10-2009 12:41 AM

Im new, wanted to say "hi"--question about Navicular

Hello all; it's so nice to meet you!

I just wanted to say "Hello" and introduce myself. I own (well my family does) three horses and lease one. I mainly jump and do dressage, but ride western some times for fun. I will explain more about them later (I want to go to bed, haha).

The horse I lease got her hooves done today, after pulling her two shoes earlier in the week. My farrier, who is very good at what he does, said that she might have Navicular. My question is, does this mean I need to stop jumping or riding her all together? I am leasing her until early September and am using her for fair this year. I cant switch horses if I want to go to fair. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!!

smrobs 06-10-2009 12:55 AM

Contrary to popular belief, navicular is not a death sentence to horses. Have her checked over by a good vet and have x-rays done. The farrier may be very good at what he does but the vet will have the final say. There are people here who know quite a bit more about the actual diagnosis part of it than I do but I can tell you that I have a horse with navicular. He was diagnosed by 3 different vets when he was 5 and with proper, meticulous shoeing, he remained sound until we had to retire him at 23. He was used for reining, team roping, and general cow work.

Unless she is showing signs of discomfort when being ridden, then there really isn't legitimate reason to stop. Navicular horses can have years of sound use with the proper hoof and joint care.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)