The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Sundance(aka Sonny) & Shenoah Journal -very sad- (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/sundance-aka-sonny-shenoah-journal-very-29358/)

nldiaz66 06-10-2009 09:18 AM

Sundance(aka Sonny) & Shenoah Journal -very sad-

4 Attachment(s)
This is Sonny's Story.The lady that rescued him wrote this story.I will also include some pics.

The palomino is Sundance. I rescued him and Shenoah from starvation and near death. the Vet checked out Sundance and said he was "Aged" . Not able to pinpoint his exact age. Although Shenoah is only about 16 yrs of age. Sundance scored a 1 out of 5 body score. Shenoah scored a horrifying record body score of negative 2 out of 5. The vet said she should of been dead. I saved their lives. On Christmas day after losing my dear cousin to suicide I received a phone call. Somehow something whispered in my ear to "go". So I did. with a heavy breaking heart my heart nearly shattered to smithorines when my teary eyes fell upon Shenoah. Christmas day i found out that Death cannot consume you. It cannot define the future. Life goes on. Life is precious. Everyone deserves to live. Even if it's just a horse. My fingers touched her rugged coat. Faded like an old pair of bluejeans. Patched like an antique quilt. They staggered over what seemed like ripples in a tidal wave. Her spine patruding from her failing body like a serpent reaching out of a once beautiful sea. The inches of muckage packed to her skin and fur like filthy elmers glue. Her eyelids half closed. her body rocking, rocking like a mother would her newborn child. I could almost hear her whisper "let me die". But I couldn't. I wouldn't. I loaded her decrepid soul onto my horse trailer along with her half brother who was almost eager to escape their prison of misery. Shenoah's knees trembled but she obeyed my every step. She didnt' know she was going "home". Her destiny changing with just one glance. I took them home and I nurtered them. I brushed them for hours. I bathed and scrubbed their former life from them. Cleansing them as if it were a baptizing. 3 weeks later here they stand before me. Transformed. Reborn. Alive. I call him sundance because I turned him out to a patchy spot of green grass and a few rayes of sunlight hit him and he started prancing in a circle. For just a moment he was dancing in the sun. Sundance. Shenoah means white dove. I needed wings this christmas and so did she and together we discovered what christmas (2008)is truly about. What new years resolutions mean and why I continue to save lives every day of my life. They don't want to die. If you see someone in need. Wether its a horse...or a brother...or a son or daughter.If it's a dog...if it's a living breathing creature. If you see them and they're suffering...don't turn your back. Save a life. One day someone might be there to save you or someone you love.
That is Sonny's Story, she had them til March 08 till she drove them a couple of hours down to what she thought would be their forever home, only to find out that the lady had Shenoah put down and Sonny was up for sale.I saw he's ad and only wanted to go "look" at him, but when I got there I could not leave without him, I thought I had to save him, not that he was in a bad place but I thought I could give him just a little bit better of a home, even if he did cost me a alot of money, I just couldnt pass him up.I bought him
APRIL 6, 2009 and the next day he was delivered to me, mean time I was in the Hospital with my son that just had a ATV accident, although he ended up being ok.I spent the next several weeks tending to my son and Sonny.Sonny came to me the dairrhea and we got that cleared up after a couple of weeks and now he is gaining weight, running around and enjoying life.I want to warn you the pics are very distrubing.The first pic is Sonny and Shenoah(RIGHT), the 2 & 3 are Sonny and the 4 is Sonny May09

nldiaz66 06-11-2009 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that I have had him 2 months he has put on about 75-100 lbs.I have dewormed him and gave him sandclear per vet. I have only ridden him twice because of his weight.Now he has rain rot, hopefully I wont have alot of problems with him because of his age.We love him dearly, he is a very sweet horse.He will follow you around like a puppy dog.I feel great about taking him him, he is the one that cost me the most money but I think he is worth it, even if we dont ride him, he has a loving home and all the feed and hay he wants,I would'nt trade him for the world.here is a pic of him when I got him in april you can see the differents from then to now, the last pic I posted of him in may.

nldiaz66 06-11-2009 09:23 AM

I will post more recent pics of him as soon as I can find my camera, darn kids,lol they like to take my camera.

nldiaz66 06-11-2009 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well I found my camera so here are more pics of him, his topline, thats what I'm trying to get filled in, I think I will be able to ride him soon:D

Lonestar22 06-18-2009 01:34 AM

I dont understand how people can let an animal starve to death. God bless you for taking Sonny in and giving him his life back.

nldiaz66 06-18-2009 10:23 AM

I dont how people can do it either, my horses come first.Alot of people ask me why I paid money for him and I say I just could not pass him up, I felt I had to take him home, even if he would have been a pasture mate.I had to give him a chance. Now he is a beautiful horse, gaining weight really good and easy to ride for anyone.His rainrot is gone and hair is growing back, he follows you around and he loves to get into things.omg,I caught him one day eating cat food that was out for my cats.

Lonestar22 06-18-2009 10:58 AM

hahahaha. thats great. i think some of the best horses are the rescued ones.

nldiaz66 08-06-2009 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured I'd post some pics of him, I think he has gained all the weight he needs,dont want to put too much stress on his joints.

smrobs 08-06-2009 10:50 PM

Wow!! I can hardly believe that it is the same horse. You have done wonders with him. He looks so happy and healthy now. Beautiful boy!!

Good on you for saving his life. :D

Jillyann 08-07-2009 02:04 AM

WOW! That doesnt even look like the same horse!