The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Ferrets as mouse deterrents? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/ferrets-mouse-deterrents-293641/)

Captain Evil 10-13-2013 08:57 AM

Ferrets as mouse deterrents?

Does anyone keep ferrets in their barn as a deterrent for mice?
Mouse-B-Gone Uses Natural Rodent Fear
Proven over many centuries, the smell of Mustela mammal (Ferret) triggers fear in rats and mice causing them to flee!

Mouse-B-Gone contains the natural smell from happy and healthy genus Mustela mammals; otherwise known as the common pet ferret, its like a "ferret in a bottle!
And in case you wonder where we get our ferret smell, you can be assured all of our ferrets who provide the product are part of "our family" so you know that Mouse-B-Gone is created with love!

anndankev 10-13-2013 09:23 AM

subbing

MissingStar 10-13-2013 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They still don't explain how they get the, er, "ferret essence" into the bottle. "Created with love" :shock:?

What's wrong with more traditional methods, like a cat? On the job, 24/7 .... zzzz

Attachment 300097

Hmmm, maybe I need to look into this product. Subbing also.

Saddlebag 10-13-2013 10:06 AM

Eau de Ferret (Ferray- French pronunciation). Is it safe in a house as there are those who don't want a cat.

Captain Evil 10-13-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissingStar (Post 3856417)
They still don't explain how they get the, er, "ferret essence" into the bottle. "Created with love" :shock:?

What's wrong with more traditional methods, like a cat? On the job, 24/7 .... zzzz

Attachment 300097

Hmmm, maybe I need to look into this product. Subbing also.

I know, I'm not sure about the "created with love" part either, that's why I was thinking of an actual ferret. The ones that are sold as pets are de-scented, so I am not sure if they would work. They would probably have to live in a day cage in the barn, a night cage in the house and come out on leashes, but the lingering smell is supposed to work.

Cats...

I love love love cats, but if they are free range/outdoor cats, they get hit by cars and kill all the birds. At the barn where Djinn lived for a couple of years, we had a feral cat whom we loved, tamed, and called Hobbs; he got hit (sob!!!) and then another really feral cat moved in, black with stunningly lovely eyes.

We were in the process of trying to tame that cat; leaving top quality kibble and extra tidbits of fish and chicken out. After a bit we stopped seeing the cat, but the food kept disappearing. Finally the woman who leased us the barn clued us in; the cat was long gone, but we had some mighty fine rats running around. We went down at night with a flashlight, and they were the size of opossums!

Also, and I really hate to be this honest, I kind of like mice, and hate to see their tiny mangled bodies around. I would rather they would just go away... Hmmm, maybe I should delete that last sentence; makes me sound a little soft in the head...

Speed Racer 10-13-2013 10:49 AM

Ferrets were tamed hundreds of years ago for the original pupose of keeping mice out of houses. I don't know how well just their scent would work, although some people do keep them in cages in their barns to help deter mice and rats. Since they're weasels, they'll most definitely go after rodents.

Mice are cute, but they're also destructive, disease carrying vermin. For me, those far outweigh any cuteness factor they might have.

ApolloRider 10-13-2013 12:45 PM

My pet rat was never worried about my ferret. I know they were both domesticated, but animals are strange sometimes, the rat and the ferret loved eachother!

jaydee 10-13-2013 01:28 PM

One of my sons had a couple of ferrets and their poop/pee did smell very strong - can see why it might put rodents off
I have heard it said that mice and rats rarely live in the same space but not sure about that
Ferrets would eat the young mice and rats too but a cat will do the same

Saddlebag 10-13-2013 03:02 PM

My son, after he was on his own, had a ferret. I didn't notice an odor but she was silly as a kitten. When he swept the floor she loved to pounce on the broom and run for the couch repeatedly. I don't now where the potty pan was but no odor on the main floor.

Endiku 10-13-2013 03:42 PM

We had 6 barn cats at my old barn and I STILL always saw little mice running around... ._.