The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   What are your favorite Quarter Horse studs? (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/what-your-favorite-quarter-horse-studs-293729/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-13-2013 10:43 AM

What are your favorite Quarter Horse studs?

Specifically for barrels! I'm trying to learn more about bloodlines mostly. I'm wanting to breed/train horses for a living (or be an equine vet) so I'll just looking to learn more about bloodlines you look for in barrel horses. I know that I love Frenchmans Guy, even though I'm not a fan of Palominos!
Posted via Mobile Device

myhorsesonador 10-13-2013 10:58 AM

SBR Formula One. He isn't just barrels, but that's what I like about him, he is really the all around QH Stallion.

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-13-2013 11:09 AM

I do like a horse that can do everything, that's for sure. He is gorgeous!
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 10-13-2013 11:22 AM

893 Attachment(s)
You'll never make money being a breeder. LoL. No offense, but it just doesn't happen.

and being a trainer...your going to have to be a top trainer with money earnings in NBHA or IBHA. Try to make it up into the standings. Its a tough life.

Your best bet is to get a degree and have horses being your "play-time" outside of work. Its a hard industry to break into, and you have to be one of the best all the time. Mentoring under someone for years is a great way to go about it...Again, its a rough life.

As far as bloodlines for barrels. Judge Cash is hot right now. Dash For Cash lines are always hot and well-known. Dash Ta Fame is a leading sire. First Down Dash is high on the list. Frenchmans Guy. Bugs Alive In 75 is a good old line. There are so many good lines. Cowbred x Racebred are some of the hardest running horses. And then there will be a Heintz 57 Grade that's going to smoke a barrel pattern and beat the best bred barrel horse out there.

Buy a copy of barrel horse world magazine. They list the top bloodline over the past decade.
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-13-2013 11:43 AM

I do plan on going to college ar A&M for Pre-vet (which is also an Animal Science degree, with equine science focus) that way I can either continue to vet school or go off on my own thing. I know breeding isn't huge money.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 10-14-2013 01:11 PM

I have my own favorite barrel stallions.

Corona Cartel, Dash For Cash, and Frenchman of course.

If you're a great trainer I would go that route to make money that way and if you want to breed on the side then you could do that on the side.
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-14-2013 04:24 PM

A friend of mine had a colt with Dash For Cash and that boy was quick, and very trainable. I'm really in love with SBR Formula One now that I checked him out. He's gorgeous.
Posted via Mobile Device

dbarabians 10-15-2013 05:55 PM

lovesmydunny never be afraid to dream and dream big. It will take a lot of money to start either a training facility or breeding operation but it can be done.
Dash for Perks is a wonderful stallion but those Frenchmans Guy horses are winning big time. Firewater Flit is a great stallion to reference.
Good luck whatever you decide to do. If you believe you can do it then it is within your powers to make it happen. Remember that. Shalom

LovesMyDunnBoy 10-15-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 3877330)
lovesmydunny never be afraid to dream and dream big. It will take a lot of money to start either a training facility or breeding operation but it can be done.
Dash for Perks is a wonderful stallion but those Frenchmans Guy horses are winning big time. Firewater Flit is a great stallion to reference.
Good luck whatever you decide to do. If you believe you can do it then it is within your powers to make it happen. Remember that. Shalom

Thank you, I appreciate the support. I can't bring myself to be a desk jockey because I know all day at work I'm going to be missing my horses. I want a job with horse contact on a regular basis, wether it be an equine vet, a boarding/breeding/training facility.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoySi 10-15-2013 07:56 PM

I really like Bully Bullion type horses specifically a stallion standing in NY called Nexavar. He is a awesome stud and I have worked closely with quite a few of his off spring at the farm he lives at and all his babies are super trainable, level headed and boy are they quick.