The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ever get home from a lesson feeling like you fail epicly? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ever-get-home-lesson-feeling-like-29386/)

Jemma 06-10-2009 08:25 PM

Ever get home from a lesson feeling like you fail epicly?

Yeah…that's about how I feel right now. I wasn't doing the right things with my hands, my legs weren't working right, it just feels like I was doing everything wrong today. And my first show is on Sunday, so not a great time for a drop in confidence.

I need some advice.

Scoutrider 06-10-2009 08:43 PM

Sometimes you just have an off day. Things just don't "click." Sometimes you have days of unparalleled, absolute perfection, when you always post on the correct diagonal, you sit the canter like your rear grew out of the horse's back, and you maintain perfect contact on a soft and willing mouth. A lesson is never an epic failure. You don't take a lesson to show off fantastic existing knowledge and ability, but to uncover issues and solve them. I constantly remind myself this, not only with riding lessons, but with my college classes. If you already are perfect, you don't need the lessons, and nobody is perfect. I hope that helped, and good luck at your show. I'm sure you will ride flawlessly :wink:!

MyBoyPuck 06-10-2009 09:31 PM

I doubt there's anybody who will say they've never felt like that after a lesson. Sometimes I wonder if my legs are connected to my brain. I just can't get them to go where they're supposed to be. Some of my best lessons have come when I'm overtired. My horse responds so well to me when I'm jello in the saddle. Whatever you do, don't overthink it and get yourself all psyched out before your show. You had a bad day, that's it. Have fun at your show. You'll do fine.

1dog3cats17rodents 06-10-2009 09:59 PM

Aren't those days just fantastic? Not. But... since you already your "off" day, your almost assured to not have a horrible day at your show! I bet you will do fantastic!

Jemma 06-11-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 325180)
Sometimes you just have an off day. Things just don't "click." Sometimes you have days of unparalleled, absolute perfection, when you always post on the correct diagonal, you sit the canter like your rear grew out of the horse's back, and you maintain perfect contact on a soft and willing mouth. A lesson is never an epic failure. You don't take a lesson to show off fantastic existing knowledge and ability, but to uncover issues and solve them. I constantly remind myself this, not only with riding lessons, but with my college classes. If you already are perfect, you don't need the lessons, and nobody is perfect. I hope that helped, and good luck at your show. I'm sure you will ride flawlessly :wink:!

Thanks. Yeah, that really helps a lot. And makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 325208)
I doubt there's anybody who will say they've never felt like that after a lesson. Sometimes I wonder if my legs are connected to my brain. I just can't get them to go where they're supposed to be. Some of my best lessons have come when I'm overtired. My horse responds so well to me when I'm jello in the saddle. Whatever you do, don't overthink it and get yourself all psyched out before your show. You had a bad day, that's it. Have fun at your show. You'll do fine.

One of my biggest flaws I guess it would be called, is I tend to over analyze and over think things way too much and then I loose confidence in my riding. Thanks, it was just a bad day, I'll try to remember that, take what I learned, put the rest behind me and move on and think positive for the show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents (Post 325235)
Aren't those days just fantastic? Not. But... since you already your "off" day, your almost assured to not have a horrible day at your show! I bet you will do fantastic!

Thanks! I definitely hope that ends up being the case!

MIEventer 06-11-2009 01:11 AM

Usually my lessons start out crappy. I don't come into the fence right or I do some sort of stupid thing to flub things up - but then once I flub, I get better.

But let me tell you - those days where we flub up, are the days that make us improve. Be proud of yourself for seeing what you did incorrectly, and be proud of yourself for realizing your errors. We all have them, even GP riders do - so don't get down on yourself.

1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's how it has been for me.

GottaRide 06-11-2009 05:15 PM

I've been on my horse crying my eyes out with so much frustration about trying to do something just as I was taught in my lesson. Came back the next day with a much better ride. And now today that something that caused the frustration is perfected, and I can smile to myself knowing that it really does take blood, sweat & tears in order to do it right.

IrishRider 06-12-2009 12:05 PM

I have terrible lessons periodically and I always over analyze them. I am so that girl that ends up with "I shouldn't ride, I'm not ready to show", etc. etc. I remember doing that right before a show. I had a terrible lesson and then at the show I took Reserve Champion and my trainer gave me so much crap for being such a drama queen the week before. Haha.

It's hard to do but you just have to take them for what they are. Learn what you can from your mistakes and let them go. I'll go weeks with fantastic lessons and then I'll have a series of bad ones. It's just par for the course. And remember that it's all those little mistakes or bad lessons, that make the great ones truly great. If this was easy, everyone would be doing it.

PoptartShop 06-12-2009 12:57 PM

Awww. Keep your chin up- we all have off days. A few weeks ago at my lesson, it just wasn't a good night for me. My position was not good at all over the jumps, my flatwork wasn't up to par either...it's okay, we all have off days! :) I'm sure you'll do fine at the show, just take it easy.

Endless Journey Girl 06-14-2009 11:19 PM

Ohhh I know how you feel, I feel like that after every lesson.. I've only been riding for about 8 months and I'm the older girl in my group lesson by at least two years. The other girls have been riding for between 2-3 years so when I fail miserably and the other girls in my group make it look easy... it sucks big time.