The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-boots-294073/)

Yogiwick 10-13-2013 09:44 PM

Hoof boots?

My gelding has been having laminitis issues (was recently diagnosed with Cushings after suddenly coming up dead lame). He has always been barefoot with excellent feet (I would not be surprised if he has never had shoes). My vet recommended shoes with pads during the summer for the trails. Her reasoning was to cushion his feet since the trails can be rocky (he is significantly worse even on minor gravel/dirt road over the sand of the paddock) and maybe get him over the (mental?) hump of walking gingerly esp. the first few steps. Obv he would have the shoes 24/7 which would help with that.

However, I thought since he is ridden sporadically it would be simpler (and cheaper) to buy hoof boots. I did talk to the vet about it and she said boots would be ok but she would recommend shoes for the reasons above. So I think we might end up putting on shoes next summer either way, but that it might also be good to purchase boots to have.

I know nearly nothing about boots so thought I would make this post, any ideas or recommendations? Which boots should I purchase? I can get pictures of his feet if need be.

We have the OK to ride him when sound (vet says to keep him exercised) and x-rays are normal. He is extremely sensitive to his diet and has flare-ups we can't even figure out why (maybe another post for that) so while his feet are more of a "symptom" we want to be as careful as possible. Thanks!

spirit88 10-13-2013 10:52 PM

I have a laminatic horse he needs boots on with pads to be comfortable on hard ground. I would NOT have shoes nailed on him. Diet is critical so he doesn't have another laminits attack.

Low NSC no grains of any kind. Keeping him trimmed so toes are short and heels are short. Having a vet that has dealt with laminatic horses and a farrier that knows what their doing...that seems to be an issue for me.

If he's ouchy on gravel rocks and hard ground he needs protection for his hoofs. Boots with pads are the way to go.

princessfluffybritches 10-13-2013 10:56 PM

I was going to say shoes and pads would be best, but if he isn't ridden all that much, I agree with boots being the way to go if he is comfy where he is when not being ridden.

Yogiwick 10-13-2013 11:11 PM

Thank you, we are careful with his diet, he is just extremely sensitive at this point. I was told that no "special" trimming was necessary at this point, but I am sure the farrier will keep on top of stuff. While I can see the changes in his feet they are not distorted at all.
I will only use the boots for riding, so thought I might do a summer of shoes for the reasons mentioned then have boots if needed. I would not want to leave boots on all day.

Are "boots with pads" a special kind of boot, or do you buy the pads separately?
Can anyone suggest what sort of boots to get?
Thank you!

Viranh 10-14-2013 12:50 AM

I had good luck with EasyBoot gloves for my laminitic mare, but they are hard to fit. Order a fit kit! They must be a good fit, particularly if you have a more upright hoof. An enclosed boot like the EasyBoot trail is better if the hoof is very upright/flared/etc, and not barefoot type. EasyBoot sells pads for almost all their boot types, too.

spirit88 10-14-2013 01:37 AM

I have easy boot rxs for my horse pads are a seprate deal. For riding renegades are the way to go.

My horse is super senistive also so that's why diet is critical for him hay has to be low NSC no more then 11%. He's on alfalfa pellets and free choice hay in a slow feeder. Plus he gets extra magnesium. My horse kept having repeated bouts of laminitis till I finally got the diet right.

Being you horse is cushing you will have to get that under control with proper medication.
My boy is well on his way to soundness but I can't stress how important the deit thing is....I found out the hard way.

I almost had to put my horse down because he was that bad now he on a low NSC diet he's made a huge turn around for the better.

Yogiwick 10-14-2013 01:42 AM

Yes I appreciate your help. He is on pergolide and we are working with the vet and farrier and careful with his diet!

So you want boots to fit like a glove? And there are specific riding boots?

Aimz 10-14-2013 01:52 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Aimz 10-14-2013 02:19 AM

My advice would be to get actuate hoof measurements after a trim and check the sizing of all the boots available to you. Work out which boots are more likely to fit and which ones are recommended for the style of riding you want to do.

Most boots can have pads added to them, I use high density 6mm foam that I buy in sheets and cut to fit as I find the pads wear out fast. However you can get 8mm, 12mm and 20mm pads for some styles of boots

I personally would boot your horse as required, I have left my mares boots on overnight with no issues and my trimmer will have clients keep boots on for days/weeks at a time (checking and airing the hoof of course) if it allows the horse to move more comfortably

I use easy boot (brand) gloves (style) however they do need a tight fit, and a barefoot/natural with minimal distortions in the hoof. I use 6mm pads in these as required but it's not recommended by the manufacture

easy boot - backcountry are super easy to use but not so good on rough terrain, or for long hours of heavy use, but they can take a 12mm pad

The easy boot - epic is perhaps the most fiddly to put on but also the most forgiving in terms of hoof shape and hang on the best in extreme footing.

Easy boot - old Mac/boa are more simple boots, easy to put on, forgiving in fit but not good for long rides

I've heard good things about renegade boots but that are difficult to get in my area so don't know anything first hand

There are a few other boot manufactures around but I have not heard much about them
Posted via Mobile Device

Yogiwick 10-14-2013 02:25 AM

Thanks for all the details. Do I need to include the pads in the size measurements? Can I use say 20 mm then drop down to 6 with the same boots? Also when measuring immediately after a trim should I allow a little room for growth?

As I said I doubt he has had anything on his feet before... is there a breaking in period (I'm sure at least a getting used to period) and what should I do? Also I assume some horses prefer some styles to others..?